Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 57 Nomad-C4-LS1 called "Ozzy"

Member #:530
    I did end up with slight dogbone - to- floorpan clearance issues, so I made these sheet metal pieces and cut the floor and welded them in place. They will end up under the rear seat, so the welding ain't pretty, but it's done. Bottom pan gets fresh seam sealer all over the joints before final painting anyways...

IMG_0960.jpg IMG_0961.jpg

Next up: I have to re-do the hydroboost & hydraulic clutch firewall mounts. I had that all done and plumbed in, then decided to use CNut's new hydroboost mount (no bolt heads showing) and that completely meant re-engineering the hydraulic clutch master cylinder mounting bracket which sits adjacent to the hydroboost, as the existing mounting bracket for it was incorporated into the old hydroboost bracket. I shoulda just left it alone...it was all plumbing in, but it didn't look "sano".

More pics to come on that next.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

What started off as an innocent changeover caused a bit of a domino effect...

After I got the hydroboost and stock Camaro clutch master cylinder mounted on the firewall and all plumbed in, I saw Chevynut's new hydroboost bracket (with the hidden bolts) and really thought that was a much cleaner look than what I had....so I bought one off him and started in with the changeover.

Not realizing all the stainless brake lines I plumbed in are now 1 inch closer to the firewall...so they are not aligned. Same with the clutch master cylinder...it doesn't fit anymore because the existing bracket cannot be used with CNut's new bracket. (Aargh...didn't consider that before I got started toppling dominos!) So I abandoned the idea of using that stock Camaro clutch MC and went with an aftermarket Tipton unit that is very compact and fits better.

So it used to look like this.
    IMG_0506.jpg

Now looks like this.
    IMG_1054.jpg

Back to plumbing stainless lines all over again.

Member #:2442
    How much travel do you have in your camper jacks? I looked at some online and most only have about 15". It looks like a good way to lift the body off and on with out investing a bunch of money. When I did my original frame off 25 to 30 years ago I jacked up the whole car and put the jack stands under the frame. Then took all the running gear, suspension etc. off the frame, removed all the body mounts, put a second set of jack stands under the body and then lowered the frame down away from the body. This worked good, but your set up looks like it would work a lot better.
    Brian

I can lift it 3 feet or more with these camper jacks. Works well. I can roll the frame out from under it if needed, or just lift it up enough to check clearances, etc.
    Wish I had the room for a legit 2 post lift in my garage, but I don’t. So this is 2nd best option.

Well life takes its toll on fabrication time. But I've managed to get ONE seat base set of brackets fabricated and bolted down. Now onto the other one.
    These lexus buckets are nice, but I have to dang near take them competely apart to get the rivited mounts removed, and then weld to the base channel pieces.
    I'll post some pics when I get the passenger side done.
    time...marches...on....

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Do you have a picture showing hydro boost to head clearance or relation. I to bought the Cnut hydro bracket and wish to keep my vet coil covers on my Ls2 on the engine if I can. Worst case Ill just notch the cover to clear booster like I had to do to keep factory battery box on my 55.
    Thanks
    Rocky

Got some work done today, time for an update.

The clutch master cylinder that came with the Nomad when I bought it was the stock 02 Camaro one. It was mounted at a funky angle to the firewall, so the previous owner fabbed up a bracket to allow it to mount in the proper angle, so the pushrod would fit to the inside clutch pedal. it was fugly.

Fast forward a few years during this build, and I decided to trash that stock Camaro Clutch MS and go with an aftermarket one (Tipton) that mounted flat against the firewall.
    IMG_1725.jpg
    Looks much better.
    Also abandoned the flexible stainless clutch hydraulic line (clutch MC to the hydraulic slave cylinder in the T56 trans), and plumbed in a stainless hard line instead.

That meant the stock disconnect fitting at the slave cylinder needed to be changed out with an adapter to AN male.

In order to do that, I had to pull the trans to get to the slave cylinder.

That was today's job... lift the body up, pull the trans, swap out the disconnect for the AN adapter, then put it all back together.

I had not pulled the trans apart from the engine (since I bought the Nomad 5+ years ago) so was curious to see if I was dealing with a worn out clutch setup.

Much to my surprise, it was not worn or even dirty in there. The face of the throwout bearing was freshly coated with a copper colored grease and the disc looked great.

IMG_1721.jpg IMG_1723.jpg

Last thing to do now is cut the hardline and install the AN fitting on it.

Hey Rocktopper: You asked about the hydroboost mount location in relating to the coils on the valve cover.
    I will say that mine are close, only because of the style of master cylinder I'm using. Here's a pic.
    Not sure if LS2 coil locaitons are different that LS1 (what I have)?

IMG_1726.jpg

Member #:115
    Looking good Paul!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Thanks!!! Looking good!!!!

Decided to put the front clip together to see what this Nomad looks like with all the little things Ive been doing to it. Hadn't ever put the front fenders on since I bought it (disassembled). So there's alot of things going on in here. Most of this is fabricated, but not all of it hooked up (if you look very closely).

Here we go:

Stance (bottom of framerail sits 4 1/2 inches high off ground). ViKing coilover shocks.
    IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

Engine compartment. There's alot going on in here. I haven't started fabbing up the wiring loom(s). Need to get that all figured out (where to come thru the firewall, etc)
    IMG_2398.jpg IMG_2399.jpg IMG_2400.jpg IMG_2401.jpg IMG_2402.jpg IMG_2403.jpg IMG_2404.jpg

Go ahead...ask your questions. Pick it apart.

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast