Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Sniper Installed

Member #:225

Sniper Installed

lt's been a bit of time since I've posted anything. Figured it was about time to give an update on my latest significant project on my 55. After much research, i decided to update my fuel delivery system with a Holley Sniper fuel injection system. I found EFI Systems Pro to be a good source for both the hardware and their subsequent tuning (at no extra charge). I am NOT an expert with FI, but, I reasoned I could install the system myself. EFI Systems Pro recommended the in-tank fuel module (sending unit, pump etc) , an Earl's fuel pressure gauge to be installed on the actual unit, and various fittings and hoses. Having this fuel module eliminates the need to a return line.

The install was pretty straightforward although I did end up using a relay directly from the battery (which is in the trunk) to power the (famous) "pink" wire that activates the computer. The issue was getting enough voltage during cranking. I read, and then studied the instructions, even printing the entire 70 page on-line manual. I had to extend some the wires to the battery, and I chose to use the temperature port in the cylinder head which meant extending that wire. The Sniper also controls the twin spal fans. I also chose to just use my MSD distributor, 6a box and master blaster coil. In other words, the Sniper doesn't control the timing.

It took me several weeks to install mainly due to retro-fitting to a running car, and the fact I really took my time. I used Grote brand connectors (they are both crimp and heat shrink) plus I put extra heat shrink on every joint along with Faraday cloth on several of the joints. I spent considerable time to route wires away from any RF sources.

The system is working flawlessly. EFI Systems Pro has done two remote tunes (via SD card and email attachments). i am very pleased with how the engine runs. Tip-in is smooth and drama-free. The WOT power seems to be on par with the Demon carb I was running. MPG are about the same, but, I'm hoping as it is tuned and "learns" it will improve. So far, I've seen about 16 or so MPG on the hwy. Not terrible for my combination. .. but I'm hoping for better.

Lessons learned... I needed to update the alternator to a 140 amp model to keep up with the A/C, EFI, headlights, stereo system etc...
    The old harmonic balancer was failing. Yes, failing. The mark on the balancer when on the strobe would "walk" making a true timing reading impossible. I replaced the balancer, and that fixed that. Although I had the 02 bung welded in, I had an exhaust leak both at the bung and at the header collector. EFI Systems Pro could see this when I sent my first data file for their tune. To check this, I pressurized the pipe with my wet/dry vacuum and sprayed soap water around and sure enough found bubbles. This was all repaired.

My message is, Sniper FI isn't a bad choice.. I've read where others hate them, but, for me, I'm loving it. Holley has come out with "Sniper-2" which is supposed to correct some of the issues as well.

Member #:516
    I love your '55, I had a balancer fail once in the past! The only way I knew something was wrong was the outer ring started to rub on the timing chain cover!! I heard it and bought a new one fixed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I love your '55, I had a balancer fail once in the past! The only way I knew something was wrong was the outer ring started to rub on the timing chain cover!! I heard it and bought a new one fixed!!
    Thanks! It's been a fun car. I've had it over 33 years now.

That balancer was a real brain teaser. The strobe on (2 different ) timing lights would show the mark moving around. Took some time to figure out ... but... it was the balancer all along. I got a new Jegs brand and it's now OK.

Member #:530
    Great writeup and feedback here Mike. Encouraging to see how simple the swap can be, and your EFI vendor helping out with the remote tuning.
    Done with carbs myself...and so are you now!
    Post a couple of pics of how that unit looks on the engine sometime.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by 55mike View Post
    Thanks! It's been a fun car. I've had it over 33 years now.

I love mine too, I've had it for 51 years!!

That balancer was a real brain teaser. The strobe on (2 different ) timing lights would show the mark moving around. Took some time to figure out ... but... it was the balancer all along. I got a new Jegs brand and it's now OK.
    I've had this happen to me on my '72 Chevy C20, the other one was my wife's '79 Camaro!

Member #:115
    Glad you had good luck with your Sniper. A friend of mine had a shop put one on his 502 that they built and had nothing but problems with it. They paired it with some Holley high performance ignition system. The Sniper completely filled his cylinders three times and they had to pull the plugs and change the oil each time. They got another Sniper from Holley and it did the same thing. Finally, they pulled the ignition system and changed it out for something else, and the problems went away. Apparently the Sniper is way too sensitive to EMI and the ignition was messing it up. The Sniper was locking up and turning on the fuel pump and opening the injectors and they had to disconnect power to get it to stop. Maybe they fixed the problems on the Sniper 2.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Glad you had good luck with your Sniper. A friend of mine had a shop put one on his 502 that they built and had nothing but problems with it. They paired it with some Holley high performance ignition system. The Sniper completely filled his cylinders three times and they had to pull the plugs and change the oil each time. They got another Sniper from Holley and it did the same thing. Finally, they pulled the ignition system and changed it out for something else, and the problems went away. Apparently the Sniper is way too sensitive to EMI and the ignition was messing it up. The Sniper was locking up and turning on the fuel pump and opening the injectors and they had to disconnect power to get it to stop. Maybe they fixed the problems on the Sniper 2.
    Yes sir, I've heard those horror stories. I'll admit, I was very weary about using the Sniper. That first start up was rather unsettling, as I was so anxious. To your point, Sniper's are very sensitive to EMI/RFI type issues. As I understand it, Ford engines with the front distributor can really be a pain. For this reason, I really spent time on the wiring.... probably to the point of insanity! I used a dab of dialectic grease on both ends of the plug wires, and really worked on keeping the plug wires completely away from any of the Sniper wires. I also de-pinned and plugged at the harness(s) any wire not being used. At the end of the day, the only issue I had were those exhaust leaks, which I fixed. I also stayed away from their "Hyperspark" distributor system, which seems to be the root of many issues. I figure my good old MSD distributor, cap, rotor, 6a box, and coil will work just fine.. as they always have. I'm sure there are guys who think having Sniper control the timing is the only way to go, but, for me, I'm keeping it simple.

SNIPER UPDATE... I've been using the Sniper now for a few months, keeping in mind as like most of us, the car isn't driven all that often. It's a fair-weather ride for sure. Sniper is still rocking! I've sent my data log(s) to EFI Systems Pro again last week just for some more fine tuning. I also decided to kick the initial timing up from about 11 degrees to 15 degrees. Now I'm cruising around at an AFR of 14.3 or so, which is really about perfect. I haven't been able to do a controlled test of the fuel miles/gallon yet, but, I'm hoping the new tune and touch of timing advance will hone it in a bit better. When I had the old carburator (and the timing at 15 degrees or so), if I took it really easy, on a flat road, in 5th gear, I'd get right at 20 MPG. That ain't bad for a cammed up 355 pushing a brick through the air. So, we'll see!!