Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 57 Nomad-C4-LS1 called "Ozzy"

Banned

Member #:2775
    A bad ground can do some crazy stuff. I had the opposite front turn signal randomly turning on instead of staying off. It seems the current can feed-back somewhere, if it can find an alternate path to find to a good ground? Weird, and difficult to troubleshoot, but at least it is an easy fix when you finally find it, which is always the first place you should have looked.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-08-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Member #:530
    Well the 40/60 relays didnt fix anything. still does the same thing after being on for just less than a minute.
    So now i'm going after the ground side of things.
    There IS definately switched power coming to the relay from the dimmer switch (in low and high beams).
    So this is somewhere between the headlights and the relays (about a 4 foot run of wire total).
    More to come....
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    So now i'm going after the ground side of things. There IS definately switched power coming to the relay from the dimmer switch (in low and high beams). So this is somewhere between the headlights and the relays (about a 4 foot run of wire total).
    Let's take a step back.....yesterday you said "When the lights went out last time, i felt the relay and it was warm. It never "clicked" when it went off...but definately wasn't transfering the power to the headlight wire..."

So when the lights go off, there's no power coming out of the relay, correct? If that's the case, then it's not a grounding issue. I don't know why you think the problem is between the relay and the lights based on what you're describing. Is power still present at the relay INPUT power connection when the headlights go off? If you don't have power at the relay input connection, you need to be looking toward the power source. Are you using a circuit breaker or a fuse? This almost sounds like a circuit breaker tripping and re-setting.

I don't know why a ground problem would cause the lights to work, then turn off after one or two minutes. Both headlights are grounded separately so it's unlikely they'd both have bad grounds there at the same instant. One possible source of a grounding problem is the front sheetmetal not being grounded to the body which would affect both lights. When the headlights go off, do the turn signals and parking lights still work? If so, that's not the problem.

I'm sure you'll find the problem and it will be a palm-to-forehead moment.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-08-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

figured it out. i had one of the (3) headlight socket wires put in the wrong place in its plug. (hint: Operator Error). And it was allowing power to transfer to ground which was causing havoc not only with the headlights but the fans too (because all grounds lead to a connection point where the relays for headlights, grounds and horn are under the hood). Why that didnt blow a fuse somewhere in the system I don't know...

But I fixed the wiring issue and now movin' on!

See Paul, this is what happens when you start and then get distracted and dont come back to it for several weeks...you lose track of what you've done and what you need to do. Dumbass!

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Good to hear you were able to figure it out. I would have pulled half my hair out before figuring that one out.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Why that didnt blow a fuse somewhere in the system I don't know...But I fixed the wiring issue and now movin' on!
    Congrats Paul for finding the short. I'd be looking at why the fuse didn't blow with a direct short like that..

this is what happens when you start and then get distracted and dont come back to it for several weeks...you lose track of what you've done and what you need to do.
    Exactly why I kept working on mine until it was done. Even leaving for a couple of days I had to take a step back and remind myself where I was.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I'd be looking at why the fuse didn't blow with a direct short like that..
    The electricity path is battery- fuse-relay-headlight. (with the relay activated by a separate power coming from the headlight switch- to - low/high switch.

So power wasnt coming back thru the relay to trip the fuse I guess...

one of these days I'll clean up the manually drawn schematic i made and post it here for discussion. We'll all need a beer for that one.

Banned

Member #:2775
    The bottom of EVERY electrical problem always comes down to OHM's Law. I=E/R
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-12-2019 at 05:55 PM.

The electricity path is battery- fuse-relay-headlight. (with the relay activated by a separate power coming from the headlight switch- to - low/high switch. So power wasnt coming back thru the relay to trip the fuse I guess...
    The fuse is in the current path, so no matter where it is in that path, it should blow if the rated current is exceeded. There is no "coming back through the relay" since the current only flows in one direction. If all you have on that circuit is the headlights, I think it should have about a 15A fuse on it, assuming 60W high beams. That's 50% more current than the circuit should draw. If you have other loads in the circuit, you might have to increase that a bit. Apparently your relay was acting like a fuse and burning up, stopping the current flow.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

girls and boys: time for an update!

Headlight wiring issue was fixed back in October
    Dual fan wiring issue was fixed several weeks ago. you can read about it here http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...and-high-speed

Bought the 10 pc glass setup and installed the windshield (only) back in November. Makes it (more) legal to drive on the streets...also keeps the bugs out of the eyes and teeth when I'm smiling.

Registration fee and proof of insurance mailed to the CA DMV several weeks ago now...just waiting for them to issue the tag for the rear license plate. Then i'm legal to take it out on public roads and continue with the road testing/troubleshooting/suspension dial in, etc.

Fixed a rear suspension "noise" last week. Passenger side= rear half shaft touching the (Vi-King) coilover spring when accellerating during a 40 mph curve in the road. The spacing between them was already tight, but i needed to reduce the spacer washers on the shock mount (upper and lower) to get it away from the half shaft. Granted...the rear end is probably flexing a tiny bit at the dogbone mounts (eurathane bushings), and because i havent taken the nomad in for a 4 wheel alignment yet...so i may have things slightly out of whack back there at the moment. Moving the shock forward by 1/8 inch has helped, and a 4 wheel alignment is on the horizon... once the registration tags show up.

Still need to continue on with more wiring for both doors...still need to buy the power windows setup, power door locks setup, stereo/speaker components, and figure out the wiring from the A pillar thru each of the doors.
    Which one of you guys is offering to take my upper door hinges and cnc/cut & fabricate the wiring channel thru them?

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast