Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distributor questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:2764

Distributor questions

Does anyone make a stock old chevy style (with or without window) distributor cap with male plug wire terminals?

In the top of the stock style distributor, is there supposed to be a felt washer to hold oil?

Should the first washer above the gear have a tang on it to keep it from spinning?

And where do I get these parts?

Thanks
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Let me explain that better. The cap with the male terminals like an MSD RTR cap. MSD ones are slightly smaller than the cap for a stock distributor. I did hit mine with a grindstone on a drill and it now fits but I'd like another one for a different distributor. The distributor is off a 283 and it's cast iron. The missing felt washer I'm thinking goes under the top of the shaft, not the very top of the shaft, under it in a little *oil cup* type area. Maybe I should have taken a picture.
    The tanged washer would be the first one put on so the tang stays in the notch and any wear is in the shims, not the bottom of the distributor casting.
    Right now I put a nylon washer for a shim and it's perfect size. Nylon lasts pretty darn long, I wonder if it will last there?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've never seen a cap for a 57-74 Chevy points distributor with male terminals, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It would be a welcome addition, as the male terminals and the wires used with them seem to be superior.

If there is a felt washer, it would go under the points cam. There is a small lip on the points plate around the cam.

Some (maybe all) distributors have that tanged washer. I don't think it's essential.
    Don't know of a source for the felt or the washer except a used distributor. You can buy plain distributor shim washers through hot rod parts channels - try Moroso or Mr. Gasket.

Registered Member

You can grind/file a little off the inside of an MSD cap and they will fit, that's what I did. Now I need to get a new one so it fits tight on the MSD distributor. The old distributor I was working on had no washers at all and of course a LOT of play. I looked closer at the old points before throwing them out, the cam follower was worn only on the top half, that's how much play it had and how high the shaft was rising!

I'm still trying to track down a miss. Now it's only easily noticable in gear at about 1500rpm and only does it once every 2 to 30 seconds. I was using the point distributor to trigger the msd box to rule out the magnetic trigger of the msd distributor as the cause. So now I'm down to a bad plug or wire, or the cap.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    Lift the hood, crank her up and turn off all the lights in the garage - you might be amazed at what you see.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That may work, but when you do that the engine is not under load and the cylinder pressure is low - so you can have problems and not detect them with that procedure.

Check the resistance of each plug wire with an ohmmeter. Suspect any wire that has higher resistance based on length. Also look for carbon tracks on the outside of each wire where the spark could be jumping to ground. Same with the cap and rotor - any black marks are suspect areas.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Lift the hood, crank her up and turn off all the lights in the garage - you might be amazed at what you see.
    I tried that, no fireworks.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I've never seen a cap for a 57-74 Chevy points distributor with male terminals, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It would be a welcome addition, as the male terminals and the wires used with them seem to be superior.
    Hey Rick, look what I found. I'm going to buy one and see if it fits on both chevy and msd distributors.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/D650711/10002/-1
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Hey Rick, look what I found. I'm going to buy one and see if it fits on both chevy and msd distributors.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/D650711/10002/-1
    I run that cap on an old MSD tach drive dist. on my 1974 Z28 drag car.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I would at least be replacing 8 plug wires without a doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast