Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Woes

Registered Member

Member #:2764

Transmission Woes

I was under the car looking for the source of a new squeak and rattle. Don't know if this was it but I do have a definite problem. The crack goes at least as far as I can see around the converter, further than the picture shows. Could be about ready to fall out? Who was that a month or so ago that said the TH400 bell housings always crack?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

I just found one for $150 to pick up tomorrow. I'll probably swap all the parts and be back in business.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    No they don't always crack. Ran them in Chevelles and Camaros never an issue, how is yours bolted in.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No they don't always crack. Ran them in Chevelles and Camaros never an issue, how is yours bolted in.
    Is there more than one way to bolt them in?

Six bolts to the block and a rear transmission mount.

I've been hammering on it for ... I don't know, maybe 20,000 miles. About 8,000 of that after the performance build. It always shifted really solid with the shift kit.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Came home with a good case and the guy said it worked fine when he drove it home. He bought a rusted out Suburban for the BBC but I don't know what trans he is using. Trying to decide what I want to do, I'm guessing swap the guts from the cracked one to the newer case. I'll look at the clutches but don't expect to see much wear. Is there any parts that get stressed that I should use from the newer one? Or at least check? The old one has the better sprag, I forget if it's 32 element instead of the old 16 one?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The older good cores use more bolts in front pump than later units. What style motor mounts, these things don't just break.

Registered Member

Both are the newer type with less pump bolts. Side mounts from speedway with rubber, tail mount rubber.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    The old ones - the one's I consider the good ones have 8 bolts in them. The later stuff has 6 bolts. AS long as you don't mix the pump halves all is good. And TH400 cases usually don't crack so you have something going on that is causing that stress to occur between the engine/trans mounting and the transmission mount. Something is flexing and moving. In the Camaro we used to crack TH350 units on a regular basis, anti-roll bar in the back finally cured that problem because the chassis was twisting so badly.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I wouldn't worry about it since you have side mounts and a crossmember, and the mounts are rubber. Crack may have even been there when you got the trans but too small to see. Most of the cracks I've seen were from loose bolts or forcing the transmission up to the block with the bolts when everything wasn't lined up. But yours is not near the bolt holes.

Registered Member

Maybe the problem was that it's first 12000 miles it was set up with front, mid, and tail mounts? I've heard good and bad about that. Mostly bad. The mounts came as a kit for BB's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast