Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radiator ready to install

Member #:2021

radiator ready to install

Need the radiator core support cradle rubbers and shims. Not knowing what to use.for thickness how many shims?--how many rubbers? -HOW MANY KITS AND WHO should I GET THEM FROM?- not yelling one finger typer.55 illustration in manual shows this,but are we going to a random height of the radiator and core support??, please advise,thanks much bob s

Registered Member

Member #:625
    No one right answer to ay of this, lots of good suppliers out there. The amount of shims depends an too many variables to count. I would start with none and add as necessary.

Member #:115
    The fenders are bolted to the radiator support. The shims under the radiator support determine the fender to door gaps, so you need to add shims until that gap is correct. I don't think you add more rubber, so you should only need one kit unless something is not right.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The shims are rubber. The kit comes with several in various thicknesses.

Adding shims increases the gap between the fender and door.

Registered Member

Member #:3653
    I probably should have used some shims in under my support. But then the doors would not have the perfect gaps! Mine probably differs however since it is a front clip from a 68 Chevy II.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Adding shims increases the gap between the fender and door.
    Rick I'm confused on how it does that? My shim kit had one piece of rubber, and metal shims to add if needed. I think I added one or so old shims that I took out. I also used nylon type lock nuts instead of bending the steel tabs over to lock the nuts.

Member #:115
    Adding shims doesn't increase the gap between the fender and door. It changes the angle of the fender edge relative to the door edge. If the fender to door gap is too tight at the bottom and has a wide door to fender gap on top, you add shims under the radiator support. If it's the opposite you remove shims.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Rick I'm confused on how it does that? My shim kit had one piece of rubber, and metal shims to add if needed.
    Maybe the kit varies with who you get it from. Mine came with a thick piece of rubber, and several thinner pieces for shims. Also another not quite so thick rubber for below the frame bracket, and a sheet metal piece for there too, plus bolts and nuts. I got it from Resto World, but it was in a "Ol' 55" bag.

It wouldn't matter if the shims were rubber or steel, the big pieces of rubber are what do the cushioning and isolation.

Registered Member

Looked in the shop for the package that the pieces came in. It wasn't "Ol'55" as I said but instead it was from California Classic Chevy Parts aka DKM Mfg. Inc. Their p/n EO463. I've purchased other parts made by them from various retailers such as Danchuk and H&H. I don't think they sell direct. But it's the right pieces and a complete kit.

Member #:2021
    I have my radiator setting a touch to high,.The fan runs closer to the shroud on the bottom than it does on the top.So if i take the 1.4" rubber [piece of truck mudflap]It should give me added room for the fan clearance on the cradle. Am i right?As sits sets right now.My radiator should setting on the cradle - no shims no rubbers.Doesn't the body mounts, play into this somewhere? to get everything in on the same game- as far as alignment of body in relation to the cradle?therefore radiator and fan shroud get lined up. cheers bob s your thoughts on this anyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast