Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS complete front suspension from 1984-1987 c4 corvette $445.00

Registered Member

Member #:1911

FS complete front suspension from 1984-1987 c4 corvette $445.00

Complete except for shocks. No damage not wrecked. Located in Suffolk, Va. $445.00
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:115
    Good deal for someone close to you. Looks like an '85 C4 suspension. No ABS, which started in '86.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Good deal for someone close to you. Looks like an '85 C4 suspension. No ABS, which started in '86.
    There are not any for sale anywhere near me either. Thanks for the commet I was guessing wrong that abs started in 87. Purely a guess on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by 18436572 View Post
    There are not any for sale anywhere near me either. Thanks for the commet I was guessing wrong that abs started in 87. Purely a guess on my part.
    I've bought many C4 suspensions and still have 10-15 of them in my storage area. Most of my customers have been buying their own to use for their conversions. You are correct that this suspension will fit '84-87 Corvettes. In fact, it can actually be installed in a 88-96 as long as the k-member is used. The later k-members bolt in the same, but the suspension components are different so they don't interchange. The late k-member is taller to accommodate the taller spindle used in the later C4s. The 84s had a screwy bent swaybar and the brakes are inferior to 85's and later, so I don't use them myself. 85 and later had a straight swaybar like yours. '86 is when ABS started to be used and everything after that used ABS as well. I'll bet if you looked on the front of your k-member you will see a datecode XX-XX-84 which indicates it was an 85 model year car assembled mid to late in 84. As a bit of trivia, and a sidenote, there is no such thing as an 83 Corvette.

Good luck selling it. It's a good deal for anyone interested in a C4 conversion and I'd be interested if it wasn't so far away from me. If anyone decides to buy it and has a tri5, I do C4 conversions for them.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    ... As a bit of trivia, and a sidenote, there is no such thing as an 83 Corvette.
    For accuracy sake (not to be nitpicky), Chevy was trying to get the C4 generation started for the 83 model year; they built a dozen or two for testing purposes, but were too slow getting into production so they introduced it as an '84 model (a bit early - March '83). All of the '83 test cars were destroyed except for one, and it is stored (and usually displayed) at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. So it's correct that Chevy didn't SELL any 1983 models, but they did build a few and ONE is left which resides in the NCM (still owned by GM I presume)... The single remaining 1983 model is a white car with blue (cloth) interior.

PS. The '84 model with the Z51 option achieved 1.0 g on the skidpad and was called the World's best handling production car at the time.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think they also sold 82 Corvettes well past the usual introduction date of the 83 models (other than Corvette). How long, don't know.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I think they also sold 82 Corvettes well past the usual introduction date of the 83 models (other than Corvette). How long, don't know.
    According to the 'Corvette Black Book', thru October '82 (which is at least a couple of months longer than typical)... So Corvette went from October '82 until March '83 without producing new Corvettes for sale...

Registered Member

Member #:3213

Corvette front end

I am interested in the front end, but I need to know what all is involved to change it over from say a 1956 210 2 door sedan? Would it then be power steering and or what more is involved to make it so? Are the wheels the same lug nut pattern? Not that it matters but i have upgraded to disc brakes.
    I am in Virginia Beach, Va.
    Kerry
    Last edited by wootdog; 09-03-2018 at 05:19 AM. Reason: More information submitted

Quote Originally Posted by wootdog View Post
    I need to know what all is involved to change it over from say a 1956 210 2 door sedan? Would it then be power steering and or what more is involved to make it so? Are the wheels the same lug nut pattern?
    It's definitely not a bolt-on modification, but it's not too bad to do. I've had lots of customers do it themselves. The wheel bolt pattern is stock Chevy.....4 3/4" x 5.

You get a front-steer power rack and pinion and big disc brakes. The rack is 2.36 (15.5:1 standard) or 1.96 (13.0:1 Z51) turns lock to lock and obviously you'd have to have a power steering pump. A GM Type 2 pump is best. The early C4 brake rotors are 11.5" in diameter stock and can be upgraded to 13" C5 rotors and calipers relatively inexpensively. You get a swaybar and an all-aluminum suspension with great modern suspension geometry. It makes it drive like a modern car.

To install it requires clipping your stock frame, by either building your own front clip or buying one pre-made and installing it by cutting off the front of the stock frame and welding the clip on. We offer clips in either 2" or 3" suspension drop and Chevy engine mounts of the customer's choice. There may be other manufacturers offering clips and there are some offering full frames. Take a look at my link to see examples of clips and full finished frames with the C4 conversion:

www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wootdog View Post
    I am interested in the front end, but I need to know what all is involved to change it over from say a 1956 210 2 door sedan? Would it then be power steering and or what more is involved to make it so? Are the wheels the same lug nut pattern? Not that it matters but i have upgraded to disc brakes.
    I am in Virginia Beach, Va.
    Kerry
    Kerry check out Chevy nuts Web site a wealth of information. He has helped and answered quite a few of questions relating to the c4 swap. Also if you go through members update section on this site there are several c4 swaps some complete fab some using Chevy nuts modified frame units.
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast