Hi guys,
I'm looking for rack & pinion, plus steering box conversion on my 57 Belair convertible. I have a SBC chevy with Doug's shorty 356 headers. I've already
installed a double pulley on the crank when I installed the new motor. I'm looking for complete system recommendations and any complications anyone else has encountered.
I had a 57 Belair convertible in 1967 as my 1st. car and wanted to keep the original steering column to have an"appears as stock" interior . I have a B&M 700-R4 and I've
converted the column shift indicator and used an "I Did It" conversion shift cable to the 700-R4, (what a pain in the Ass that was to make it work! I'm willing to spend the
bucks to do it right, but being a "back yard mechanic" I'd like to try installing it myself. We all know how well aftermarket parts fit don't we? I just got it on the street in the spring after installing a custom built 383 stroker with the B&M streetfighter 700-R4 and a 9" Ford 3:70 rear with 4 wheel discs and a 4 pass radiator. I can cruise at 80 going to car shows on the highway, (that's the unofficial highway speed limit in Connecticut.) Well, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this conversion and it's always the complications that get to me with delays. Our car show season in CT. ends around Halloween so I'm looking to the conversion around that time before I put it away for the winter

Please tell me about how long it took you and as requested, what complications you encountered and what systems you recommend. There's plenty of choices out there,
but if you had it to do over again, would you use the same system and how satisfied are you with it? Gee, after reading this Post with so many questions, I wonder if anyone will respond at all??? Just kidding. Some of my best drive line questions I've posted in the past came back from Tri-Five guys who have already "Gone down this road before me" with the correct answers.