Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: torque converter street/strip

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    This may be stupid but it won't be my first time, can you tell if this looks like a stock GM converter?
    I keep forgetting to ask if it is worth anything or is it scrap metal? I'm assuming it's scrap. Pics on post #9.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    That is either a hp model or hd with six lugs, I would think it has a core value.

Member #:3718
    Take the time to replace the front seal on the pump, lube the inner part of the seal with a touch of white grease and 1 quart of fluid in the converter. If it's been a while on trans service, you might want to dump the fluid and replace that too. Good luck with it, TCI was some of the first "good" automatic trans stuff I ever used and it never let me down.

Registered Member

Replaced the front seal already. My old converter is a TCI "Break Away" series. Never had a problem. Still have the invoice, $179.69. I'm keeping the Break Away in case I quit racing. I'll probably decide that when it's time for new slicks, or if I break something.

The extra converter in the pics came with the donor tranny, guessing it's stock from the Suburban it came out of. Funny, the *new* trans is out of the same make and model as the old one. Broken case has a cast "12" up top, good case has a "13", my lucky number.

Registered Member

Finally late yesterday FedEx showed up with the converter. Finished up today checking everything three times and took it for a ride. It has a *whirring/whine* sound that can be heard when in or out of gear, I'm hoping that's normal, or common? Drove it and yes it does seem to slip a lot until it kicks in. The whine isn't noticeable as soon as I start moving. Going about 40mph in third I don't hear a thing but if I stay off the throttle and down to 2nd gear I hear the whine. Don't tell me the pump took a crap. Fluid level is good and I put 2 O rings on the pickup tube. It ran fine and there was no foam or bubbles on the dipstick.

I know it isn't the proper way of checking stall speed, but in the driveway with the parking brake on and the brakes almost to the floor it gets up to 3400rpm before the street tires spin. So how that may translate to real stall speed I don't know?

So the whine and the stall speed, what do you think?

Update: The whine went away! I'm guessing there was some air stuck in there somewhere but now it's quiet.
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 09-02-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Might not be the exact way to check one but it appears to be about dead-on to what they said it would do. Now it's back to testing and tuning to get the most out of it. Have fun!

Registered Member

Crap, the whine is back, just at certain speeds and rpm's. Sounds like I have a blower.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Usually low pump pressure although a few other areas can cause the same type of noise. Try looping your cooling circuit at the trans and see if the whine goes away.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    On the whine, are you sure that the oil level is high enough? Are you sure that the pickup tube seals at both ends and the filter is on the tube?

Actually the filter on the end of the tube isn't important, in fact I used to run my TH400's without filters, just used a piece of aluminum screening to keep out large debris. Now if the o-rings and tube are dislodged, that could be an issue. But, he already said he checked all of that - really sounds like a pressure issue going on so my other question is I am assuming that the guts of the previous trans were transferred to the new case and the new converter was dropped in place. So, it might be a good idea to loop the cooling ports, see if the resultant increase in pressure stops the whining and if so, then see about borrowing a pressure gauge to verify the actual pressures that are being generated. There is a possibility that the new (replacement case) has a hairline crack in it resulting in an internal leak.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast