Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: torque converter street/strip

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    So 3700 plus me is 3930, close enough.

Your comment about the cooler doesn't make sense. The hotter the transmission, the more the radiator cooler will do to cool it since the coolant temp will stay about constant.

I've heard of this brand for many years, not sure what the name brand/cheap comments mean. The one they recommend is not exactly inexpensive at $630.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Weight isn't really an issue as long as the body/interior is essentially stock. It's going to weigh 3700 or so with a big block.

Your comment about the radiator cooler doesn't apply with anything 2400 rpm stall and up. With that you need a big cooler and don't run it through the radiator cooler.

You simply need to decide two things. What stall you want knowing that bigger is a detriment to highway driving. And whether you want to use a name brand or cheap out. We can't decide that for you, it's up to you.
    Good advice here, time to put up or shut up. FYI I use radiator cooler with aux cooler on trucks only not on HP applications.

Member #:3718
    I'm not a big fan of using the radiator cooler unless we are dealing with a tow truck or something similar that doesn't stress the transmission temperature all of the time, then it makes sense to me to loop it through the radiator unit. For performance, stay with as large a stacked cooler as you can handle and my preference is AN type fittings/hose for the connections. Metal line would be fine too but stay away from rubber hose and hose clamps - eventually it will bite you.
    I understand that $630 might seem pricey especially when you are not positive of what you might end up with but going with a well known converter company may cost another $100 but it's normally worth it just in getting support and decent workmanship. I can recommend TSI, TCI and BTE as companies that I have never, ever had an issue with but I cannot recommend FTI, Hughes or any of the smaller companies. I hate to say that because some of them are just fine I am sure but you're spending some decent money and you do not want any issues. There are other outfits out there with good reputations too, JW, A-1, Coan and Rossler come to mind but while I have used parts from JW, I have never had a converter from any of them.
    And I find it kind of funny that what I said about the stall speed number was almost dead-on.

Registered Member

I just go my 8 inch bolt together back from local rebuilder $150. It started our life as an A1 over 20 years ago and was rebuilt to current state by local rebuilder something new its caliber is probably in the $1200 range. THe good news is quality stuff is worth fixing. Had a GER once in a BBC Chevelle it wasted my front pump on startup..

Registered Member

Curious if your 8" had a failure or it was getting preventive maintenance like bearings or something?

Do you know what exactly went wrong with the GER one? Again, I'm just curious.

Also do you fill them half way before installing?

Member #:3718
    Oh yea, the GER crap was a real winner. They sold me something that was supposed to be a decent converter for my '66 Chevelle bracket car. The damned thing was never right and I sent it to TCI to have them go through it - they called me back after cutting it open and said it was worthless. Someone had used a pair of pliers on the fins to change their angle. TCI guy said the fins were all over the place!

You can normally get a full quart of trans fluid in the converter - that's all you need to get it going.

Markm - leaning towards a Rossler bolt together the next time around. At least that way with some spare hardware you can change up what the converter is doing for you.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Curious if your 8" had a failure or it was getting preventive maintenance like bearings or something?

Do you know what exactly went wrong with the GER one? Again, I'm just curious.

Also do you fill them half way before installing?
    About 15 years of use and countless passes a PM thing but it was a good idea. Inspection showed a some worn parts in need of service.

The GER converter had little pieces slag on hub which was rough as a cob and unfinished.

Bolt togethers are expensive but I think they are worth it. I would still like to kick George R Reynolds in the ass.

Registered Member

After talking to TCI, I ordered one of theirs. It's rated at Summit for 3000 stall but the guy at TCI said with my motor it should be closer to 3200 - 3400. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Registered Member

My mid 7 second in the 1/8 355 SBC 74 Z28 has a 35 year old 10 inch TCI. It was converted from street/strip to race by them in the 90s, good stuff. I think you will be happy.

Registered Member

About $160 cheaper than the other one also. I also opted for the anti ballooning plate. I know I don't need it now but who knows down the road. Damn, according to updated shipment tracking it won't be here until tomorrow. At least FedEx delivers on Saturdays, otherwise it wouldn't be here until Tuesday.
    I wonder if the damn track will be open on Labor Day? So far only Fri and Sat, no Sunday's. The old owners used to open Sunday if Sat was rained out.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast