Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: on the road, finally

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    Congratulations, that's got to feel great! There were probably times that you thought this day would never come

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Buster, that has to be a great feeling to drive and enjoy the car, especially after you've endured what you have.

Congratulations!

Member #:3249
    Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    Congrats! Must feel great...I'm getting really antsy to drive my car. Its great to hear that you have been able to make it through all those hardships! Show us some photos for your 56
    Don't know how to post pics.

Member #:3249
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustaddict View Post
    Congratulations, that's got to feel great! There were probably times that you thought this day would never come
    You bet there was........a little more history......I got this car from my best friend Charlie, just before he died of cancer on 5-5-07. When I got diagnosed, I thought that would be 2 of us who couldn't get the car finished. Charlie and I are both veterans. I've been taking a flag to him at the cemetery every Memorial Day and Veteran's Day (in my Chevelle) ever since he passed. I tell him every time that I will try and have the 56 done for flag duty soon. This Veteran's Day weekend, I can keep my promise. We'll take a flag to Charlie, then leave for Riverside, CA to deliver one to my brother-in-law who passed from complications from Agent Orange on 1-8-18.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
    Just got home from my weekly breakfast club meeting. The car drew a crowd, got all kinds of nice comments, even though it's still a Patina'd car. I'm actually a little surprised.......my 66 Chevelle is a done car, a 4 speed, Marina blue.....but the 56 got a lot more attention today than the Chevelle does. I stopped at the store to get a battery cable, the guys there all had to see it, stopped at the bank, just as they were opening........two guys waiting for the doors to get unlocked had to come over and check it out. As I drove thru town, I saw people looking at it as it drove by, I probably got 2 dozen thumbs up...........life is cool!
    I think primered or patina cars most always get more attention around town or the highway. Bikers, real bikers especially like my black primer and rust finish. Get a lot of two fingers down which is meant for bikers to keep two wheels on the road. I believe people feel like it and the driver are more approachable than a restored car. Not that I'm putting down a nice restoration, not at all, they get all the attention at car shows.
    Wishing your wife and you the best of health.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I think primered or patina cars most always get more attention around town or the highway. Bikers, real bikers especially like my black primer and rust finish. Get a lot of two fingers down which is meant for bikers to keep two wheels on the road. I believe people feel like it and the driver are more approachable than a restored car. Not that I'm putting down a nice restoration, not at all, they get all the attention at car shows.
    Wishing your wife and you the best of health.

Not buying it Tony I have both black primered 55 and nicely restored 56. When I drive them I see no difference in attention they attract. That being said I will go as far to say I don't think the general public know or cares about the difference between 30k car and a 100k build.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't think the general public know or cares about the difference between 30k car and a 100k build.
    Not buying it Mark. Anyone can see the difference in $70K if the cars are parked side-by-side. They might not see it when you're driving by, but they can certainly see it when they look up close. And the "general public" might not understand the cost, but they can see the big difference in quality. Whenever I go to a Goodguys show I see people gathered around the high-dollar cars. They walk right past the $30K cars.

You can't get much done at a shop for $30K and just about any simple garage resto is going to cost that. And if you do all the work yourself adding $70K more makes a huge difference.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I price and value cars in the real world. Have yet to see a car worth 100k.

Member #:615
    busterwivell, congratulations on getting the car running. Now you can start start having fun. Thanks for telling us about your friend Charlie. That was a touching story.

Member #:615
    Markm said "I don't think the general public know or cares about the difference between 30k car and a 100k build."

Chevynut said " Whenever I go to a Goodguys show I see people gathered around the high-dollar cars."

I think both statements are correct, but I don't think the people at a Good Guys show are the general public. I think they are mostly people who are into old cars.

So I have to agree with markm. My '57 wagon has cracked and faded paint. My floor is painted with bedliner, no carpet, the door panels are bare masonite and the seats are from three different cars, just dyed so that they are the same color. The chrome is not real shiny. But when I drive it I get thumbs up and praise all the time from the "general public". A few weeks ago at a red light a guy rolled down his window and said "That's the best looking car I have seen all day."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast