Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Headers

Registered Member

Member #:3916

Headers

Anyone running Hooker long tube headers on their 55 that has a small block motor thats still has the front motor mounts, bell housing mounts, heads with straight plugs, and a 4 speed ? any problems with the fit and clearance?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What's the part number? If it's 2458, then the answer is yes they will fit just fine. They clear the frame brackets for the bellhousing mounts. Stock clutch linkage works. The only downside is the primary tubes hang low and that will be a problem on a lowered car, maybe even on a stock height front end. These are 1-5/8" primary tube, 3" collector.

Hooker also sells p/n 2112. These require you to remove the frame brackets for the bellhousing mounts, which really means you need side mounts for the engine. They are 1-3/4" primary tube, 3-1/2" collector. They don't hang nearly as low. They clear everything else.

Registered Member

Thanks for the info, can you tell me whats the best side mounts to use ?

Registered Member

Earle Williams without a doubt.

Registered Member

I checked into the Hooker's p/n 2112 and was told that they wouldn't fit with straight plug heads, as far as removing the bell housing mounts that's not a problem as I have installed a trans crossmember brace. I like the tighter fitting headers as I am planning on lowering car at least 2".

Registered Member

I've never used the 2112s. The application notes at Summit for this header say they will work with angle plugs, they don't say they won't work with straight plugs, which I believe they will. I have some Earle Williams headers - they will work with either straight plugs or angle plugs. Now, when I say angle plug, that's factory angle plug heads. No bets on aftermarket angle plug heads, which are sometimes higher with respect to the headers than factory angle plugs. If anything, straight plugs are easier. Sometimes angle plug clearance problems are with the header flange, this can be cured by trimming the flange. Call the Holley tech line if in doubt, they should have a comment. If you remain in doubt, buy some EW headers.

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    I'm wanting to put headers on my 55 Chevy 210, just installed a new blueprint engine and TCI tranny. I've looked at headers that will allow me to let the bell housing mounts stay on the car but having no luck. I don't care to remove the mounts if I have to but will there be any problem with the pitman arm when turning left? Thanks.