Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delray project

Member #:115
    Hey Mike, it looks like you have a late C4 rearend but with an internal parking brake. Are you using the C5 rear brake adapter from The Street Shop?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Mike, you’d mentioned rather having an LS3 than the gen v LT1. What have you run into that’s changed your mind?

Registered Member

Member #:232
    The 3 bolt holes on the c5 e-brake are the same spacing as the c4 hub bolts. I just enlarged the holes. There was interference with the e brake cylinder bolts so I filed notches into the c4 caliper bracket/spacer. It’s merely sandwiched between the hub and triangular c4 calliper bracket/spacer. I will make my own caliper adapter brackets.
    Sorry for the crappy pic.

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Hey Mike, it looks like you have a late C4 rearend but with an internal parking brake. Are you using the C5 rear brake adapter from The Street Shop?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Laszlo originally set up the front clip for an LS like I was planning to use. I got a really good deal on this LT1 so thought I would try and make it work. Long story short, I had to alter the mounts to make it work, recess the firewall an additional 1.5” (5.5 in total ) to clear the back of the intake and Mechanical fuel pump bracket as well as leaving enough room for my vintage air set up on the inside. The crank and pulley has a short snout where it won’t fit over the rack and pinion so it had to go behind it. I have just enough room to slide a belt through between the crank and rack and pinion. A lot of other mods too but I finally got it in there.
    Nothing wrong with the engineering behind the motor, it just made a lot of extra work for me going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    Mike, you’d mentioned rather having an LS3 than the gen v LT1. What have you run into that’s changed your mind?
    Last edited by mikev8nut; 09-13-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Member #:3217
    MikeV8Nut posted in response to a question why he regretted changing engine from LS to LT:

"Nothing wrong with the engineering behind the motor, it just made a lot of extra work for me going this route."

That's what I've been trying to tell Richard... to stick with what he knows, unless he just LIKES headaches and solving 'new' problems...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A gen5 isn't the same length as a gen4 engine?

Registered Member

I’m sure the engine will fit fine in other applications but it was a tight fit for me with the c4 setup and stock c7 accessories

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    MikeV8Nut posted in response to a question why he regretted changing engine from LS to LT:

"Nothing wrong with the engineering behind the motor, it just made a lot of extra work for me going this route."

That's what I've been trying to tell Richard... to stick with what he knows, unless he just LIKES headaches and solving 'new' problems...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I was just suggesting that a gen4 may be no different.

A lot of us are like that. It's just a matter of picking the project and then solving the problem. Many times though project picking is what takes more critical thought and planning than solving the problems created once the project is chosen. Also to be successful at all that, you need to recognize your strengths and limitations.

Registered Member

The blocks are similar in size but the intake overhangs at the back of the engine as well as the fuel pump and bracket. The front accessories hug the block more so the crank pulley couldn’t straddle the rack and pinion. It would have to sit above it making the engine too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    A gen5 isn't the same length as a gen4 engine?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by mikev8nut View Post
    The front accessories hug the block more so the crank pulley couldn’t straddle the rack and pinion. It would have to sit above it making the engine too high.
    We position all of our SBC and LS engines so the damper sits over the rack. The dampers are all around 8". We then set the engine angle at 5.5 degrees. I don't think it's too high, but it you want it lower you have to move the engine back like you did. Our placement allows use of the stock firewall with LS and SBCs.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast