Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hall Effect or Proximity Sensor, What's best?

Banned

Member #:2775
    Pictures of your current setup and what you want it to do, or function like would be good to know?

Member #:1653
    LOL, that's what Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes used to get into a car.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    A hall effect is more common, I believe they are still used in keyboards. Either one would without a doubt need some electronic circuitry to boost the signal. The output of either won't be strong enough to trigger the smallest relay. Also you will still need to move either a small magnet or piece of ferrous metal to make it work, or you are buying it as a package and will look like any other switch you can buy. The only reason they are used is because of their reliability. Think of a distributor, the points do last long, but still they have a definite lifespan. Not so with the hall or proximity sensor. They can last indefinitely. (not so if you have a MSD LOL) Anyway, I think I'd look for some type of fancy switch(es).
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Member #:2775
    If someone could market a 12 volt PLC (programmable logic controller) for automobiles, that would be great. An idea I've had for years. I'm sure it could be easily done, and then you could use electronic switching for inputs, and have built in programmable relay outputs. Wireless switches are another possibility. It would be fun to just program turn signal flashing, and sequence anything with just a lap top.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 09-15-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12