Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailgate Support Cable Replacement

Member #:3898

Tailgate Support Cable Replacement

I have a question regarding the replacement of the factory tailgate support cables. I just started replacing my drivers side cable and it all went well until I tried to close the tailgate. I appears the connector that connects the cable to the re tractor reel gets caught on the rubber grommet and does not fully retract without pushing the cable once it hits the grommet. Anyone else had this problem with re-pop cables??

Thanks,
    Bob

Member #:115
    If I'm not mistaken it's a design quirk with the Nomad cables. Since the tailgate leans forward a lot more than a regular wagon and lays down about the same angle the cables have to retract further forward into the quarter. This makes the connector go through the grommet, which doesn't happen with the other wagons. I don't know of a solution, but I haven't heard of a problem like yours either. I think the Nomad cables are longer than the other wagons too.

Are your retractors installed correctly, and are the cables in the guides by the taillights correctly? Maybe it's an alignment issue.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I've only changed the drivers side so far so maybe I better stick my flexible camera scope through the cable guide and make sure I have the cable in the guide correctly. I just put the new re-tractor reel in and it's mounted the same as the original which I believe was factory installed. The reel end connector on the new cables I just purchase are larger than the stock one were and kind of square so I think they catch the grommet instead of sliding through.

I'm thinking of making a set of custom length cables to get the tailgate more level but still leaving clearance over the bumper guards, have you heard of anyone that makes a longer cable?

Thanks for the input.

p.s. can't wait to see new paint pic's when you post them.

I have some stock cables and I didn't really notice any difference between them and the replacements. I also got new retractors and they look like the stock ones to me too. Can you tell what part is catching on the grommet? There's a little info on the grommet on my paint prep thread.....I didn't even know there was a grommet!

I don't know of any custom length cables available but you might be able to find someone to make some using the parts on your replacement cables. An Aircraft shop might be able to help.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    You might want to do some serious checking on the possibility of lowering the tail gate more, there must be some reason the factory didn't make it come down level.

Member #:2017
    If you haven't already, it may help to remove the tail light housings to better see what's happening while lowering the tailgate.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

I'll post some pic's this evening of the factory cable and the new cable so you can see what the differences. Good idea Chevynut, I think I can get the cable end fittings from Aircraft Spruce so I think I'll make a test cable and see what length I can use that will allow the tailgate to set a little more level. I think if the cable was as little as 2 inches longer it would make a huge difference. The question will be, can the re-tractor reels compensate for extra 2" of cable. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BCPrez View Post
    I think if the cable was as little as 2 inches longer it would make a huge difference. The question will be, can the re-tractor reels compensate for extra 2" of cable. We'll see.
    You should be able to tell by looking at the retractor with the tailgate up to see if there's any more room.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to attach a picture, any help on how to attach pic's. I've read the FAQ but I'm just not getting it.

Where are your pics located? If they're on your computer use the "tree in frame" icon that's the third from the right above your post. Once you click on that you get an "insert image" box and you click on "from computer". Then click "browse" and find your pic, click on it, then hit "upload file(s)" and wait for the pic to upload to the site. Once it uploads you'll get something like [ATTACH]####[/ATTACH]. Then you can continue to type if you want to.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast