Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Track times

Registered Member

Member #:2764

Track times

I got lucky, my first night back there they actually had stuff hooked up. Crude, not all working all the time, but something to go by.
    I guess it was only printing one slip so they tore them in half. What a hack. Actually it was printing a yellow copy too, like for a credit card, not as easy to read but better then tearing the slip in half. I'll bitch about that next time.
    This it the first with the new converter. The light was funny. two staged lights, all four yellows at once, then green.
    OK, now I see why you guys start taking parts off the car for less weight. I wasn't planning on going and had a full tank of gas.
    Oh, it was hooking great with one so so burnout the first time, then just short ones after that. Still working on what I can rev it to when staged.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 09-30-2018 at 04:23 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    Taking a shot with Wallace stuff and 3400 pounds, 319 hp and a conversion to 13.31 in the 1/4 - Not to shabby for a street mannered '55.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Thanks, when I rebuilt it with the cam it has I thought how great it ran and drove perfectly fine on the street I was happy. Now I'm left thinking ... I could have let it not be SO perfect on the street and went up a step with the cam for something in between street and strip, but that's how the cam was described. I may try it with open headers, not certain if I'll drive it there and home like that. A friend told me that it may be better with a certain length pipe. He has some old ingrained ways of doing things, but he told me to put about 5' of pipe on and spray paint a line down it. Where the paint stops burning off is where I cut the pipe. Ever hear of that one?

I have to remember to see if the local Farmers Co-Op has a scale. Another option is about a 1/2 mile very dusty drive to a quarry, I'm sure they would weigh me.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The paint on the pipe trick won't work. If you cut the pipe where it tells you and then paint the pipe again, it will tell you to cut some more off. Again and again until there's no pipe left.

Running without the mufflers should give you a power increase and an et reduction. There's only two reasons it wouldn't help the time - either you lose traction, or it affects an already bad tuneup the wrong direction.

What's so hard about disconnecting the exhaust at the track if you can do it at home? You just need to carry a jack, jack stands, and tools with you. Of course this stuff is what leads to trailers when you extend it a bit.

Registered Member

If you saw where I live and where I have to drive to you might say to drive it with open headers. The whole ride is just over a mile. I'll try at home with just one loose bolt in each reducer if I can take it off and on without a jack.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    With a good 2.5 -3.0 system I never bothered to pull mufflers. A lot of work for no gain.

Registered Member

Edit: I was measuring inside not outside to get 2.25". I guess I do have 2.5"

They are mandrel bent. DynoMax super turbo mufflers.
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 10-01-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Member #:3718
    LOL!! It's just more fun to drive open headers!

And yes the pipe and line trick does work, I have done it but just paint the line on the raw pipe with some really cheap paint. Chop it off at the end of the burn plus an inch - that will help the torque some.

Depending on which way you want to go with it, you might consider advancing or retarding the camshaft. You'll have to verify exhaust valve clearance if you move the cam around but if you have never done it, you will be surprised at how different the engine will respond. Almost like sticking a new stick in it.

If you can get it weighed that would be good information for you. My old Chevelle which was gutted, glass hood and bumpers I thought was about 3000-3100 - darned thing was actually 3210. It takes a lot to wipe out the weight of that old heavy metal.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Just the weight of the driver can make a difference. I'm at 175 now, but when I was racing karts at 220, that was a big chunk of the power to weight ratio.

Registered Member

Heavy Chevy!

I'd have to look back and see for sure, but this is a lot closer to my estimated weight from a while ago.
    Wallace calculators give 370 & 378 HP. If it's hard to read, the gross weight is 3920.
    The HP still isn't nearly what I thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast