Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Track times

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I tried a pair of drag radials once, they were not a good as slicks and ET suffered. Another pair of wheels is the answer.
    I almost forgot my main reason for wanting to try radial slicks, the scary sway of the rear end at the far end of the track.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Must be one of those special 55s that came stock with the 454 option and 2.5" exhaust.
    I worded that poorly. What I meant was the weight of stock plus more. By stock I meant it has a front bumper, glass windows, full interior, ...
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I almost forgot my main reason for wanting to try radial slicks, the scary sway of the rear end at the far end of the track.
    I run Mickey Thompson for two reasons low heat compound and higher air pressures. Good handling and no need for stupid burnouts,.

Registered Member

What do you think of these? The section width is a little wide but it's measured on a 10" rim and I have 8". https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3053s Talked to a tech at M/T and he said a lot of people use them without tubes, they wipe the inside down with murphys oil soap and they hold air pretty well. Also that gluing them with the red permatek gasket sealer works for most people who don't use screws. I used the spray on type with the Hoosiers and they would turn about 1" first run then pretty much stay put. He said to use the liquid and brush it on. Still I'm tempted to use some really good 3M contact adhesive, their heavy duty one. These are a really good price right now. Only 26" instead of 28" but I guess that's just like a little more gear.

Although this changes everything. Another reason to go to the *278 class* was to be running against people who aren't as fast. I still haven't done a single bracket race. I find the whole idea sort of silly, but a necessity to keep the same people from winning all the time and more people, more cars, more money.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

My BBC Camaro has those in 29.5x10.5 on 10.00 SuperTricks with tubes and my SBC Z28 has 28x9.00 on 7.00 Supertricks with no tubes. I have a set of 28x10.5 on 8.00 Supertricks with tubes I have run on my 55 or 67 Camaro. I prefer tubes with screws, but have run screws without tubes. I would be reluctant to use the shorter tires, however a friend of mine went to them on his CJ Mustang and they seem to work.
    Last edited by markm; 03-18-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A shorter tire will have a smaller patch on the ground than a taller one of equal width.

I never ran tubes in my slicks except back when I was learning and didn't know better in the 70s. Tubes just add weight and stiffness. I always used screws. Goodyears without tubes will leak down in a day or at least a few days. No biggie for the track, not so good on the street. I don't know what other brands do. The use of chemicals to keep air in the tires or to try to bond the beads to the rims bothers me. Maybe people do it today. Actually the screws have gone the way of the do-do bird for faster cars too, they now use bead lock rims - and at some point are required, though not at your level.

Registered Member

I have seen beadlock rims on topfuel/funnycars, but everyone I know is still using screws with or without tubes. I would go with the taller tires,

Registered Member

I can't find 28" tires with those specs, that's the reason for the shorter tire.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Summit shows four MT slicks styles 28 x10.50.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I experienced that same issue with my M/T ET Streets, and the sway went away when I increased the tire pressure by just a couple psi.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast