Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Track times

Member #:3718
    I'll go again - advance the cam and see how the engine likes it. You'll have to check the exhaust valve for clearance because that piston is chasing it but assuming that's a go, advancing the cam will seem like you installed a fresh one. And it'll cost a lot less than a grand too.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Advancing the cam makes intake valve/piston clearance smaller and exhaust valve/piston clearance larger. Can help but it's a finesse thing not a big change.

Opps - yep Rick is right. Last one I did, we were retarding the camshaft to move the RPM range up and it was the exhaust valve clearance I was worried about. Thanks for catching my goof.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    The cam is already advanced 2°. So would you take a chance on 4°? I was thinking of retarding it so it's how it's supposed to be. What do my 60' and 330' times tell you?

On a side note, Summit wouldn't let me use the word "retard" in a review! Not politically correct. I even argued with them and told them that their tech support uses the word. They didn't give in. Sigh.

Actually, if it's not going to be much of a change, while it's that far apart I'd rather change the cam, but again, would I need to remove the head(s) to check valve clearance? And what would I have to do if their is no clearance? That whole thing sounds like a wait till winter project if I'm pulling the heads. Then I can CC them so I know what the hell my CR really is.

On another side note, I noticed this one guy I was up against a few runs go to the very end of the track and stop. I didn't think of it till later but do you think he was checking his plugs?

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    On a side note, Summit wouldn't let me use the word "retard" in a review! Not politically correct. I even argued with them and told them that their tech support uses the word. They didn't give in. Sigh.
    So what word did they suggest you use?

What is our country coming to, when IDIOTS are running everything from our government, media, and corporate policy....??...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Do your heads have 2.19/1.88 valves installed. If I recall they are 781s, good stuff.

For serous performance I would ditch the juice cam. they have no place in a race car. Especially the roller ones they are heavy.
    Last edited by markm; 10-23-2018 at 05:52 AM.

The whole "Political Correctness" BS has been out of hand for quite a while now. And this is where I get into trouble but honestly I don't really care. When we started allowing women into job titles that were completely handled by men historically, that was the beginning of our decline into this mass of crap that we have to deal with today. I worked in the phone industry for 34 years and literally watched as women came on board to take these positions. By and large, most of them found out that they could not do the jobs but in most cases management was "forced" to overlook their shortcomings and not do anything about it. A double standard was established - what I had to do to get my work done versus what a female had to do was completely different for the same job and pay level. And yes I am still pissed off about it so don't bother telling me to get over it. We also had to hide all of the girlie magazines . What really started all this nonsense was the federal government driving prime rates to ridiculous levels, banks in turn charging high rates on homes and cars which in turn forced women in families to join the workforce to make ends meet in the family unit. Women in the predominately male workforce exposed more women to men which in turn lead to more affairs and resulting in more broken families due to divorces. You probably disagree with me but believe me, I literally watched all of this happening.

If the cam is already bumped up 2 degrees, then I doubt if pushing it 2 more is going to get you much benefit on the bottom end. What you can do is possibly obtain some valve checking springs and check what your clearances are currently with the cam you have - that should give you some idea of how much more cam you can go with but you would still need to check the new cam during installation. And yes, it's not uncommon to take a couple of plugs with you on a run, kill it at the end of run and switch out a couple of plugs and read them as best you can when you get back to the pits. I feel the best way to read a plug is to cut the base off exposing the entire length of the porcelain - a lot easier to see exactly what is going on.
    Last edited by chasracer; 10-23-2018 at 05:52 AM.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

If I recall you have old TRW 2365 pistons, not tons of relief built in, however roller cams are more forgiving due to faster ramps.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 10-23-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

I have seen several 454s run very low 7 second 1/8s with those pistons and 781s with the aforementioned oversize valves. I already posted I damn near made the high 6 second club with them. Currently you should have 2.06/1.72 real gain to be had with 2.19/1.88s.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast