Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Deleting Nomad Door Vent Window

Registered Member

Member #:610

Deleting Nomad Door Vent Window

I am attempting to convert my 1957 Nomad doors to one solid window and deleting the vent window. I purchased an extra set of verticle door stainless so I can retain my originals in case I ever want to put back the original vent windows. I have purchased reproduction Nomad doors and No-Vent Power Window Regulators as well as duplicates of other parts needed, but, I am curious as to what others have done in modifying the stainless where the top cap goes.

Just some info, on my Nomad, I know that the top caps are specific to driver and passenger sides (my Nomad's top vent caps are not the "shorts") and that my 57 Nomad was built in New York (according to the vin). purchased the vertical door trim pieces (inners) that have extra material at the top so I have some metal to play with in figuring out how I will go about this. My Nomad's original vertical inners and do not have this bend at the top for the "shorts" to slip into.

Any insight is appreciated for my 57 Nomad.

Thanks

Member #:115
    I know this is pretty easy to do on a sedan without a chrome window frame and I know it's been done on Nomads but I can't say I've ever seen it done on a hardtop. However, I don't know how they've dealt with the issue of removal of the vent window cap and finishing the top of the vertical stainless. You would have to add some length to the chrome window frame to make it work and put the felt channel on the front of the door instead of the back of the vent window channel. Seems like it's going to take some custom fabrication to do it but it can be done. Just dive in and do it.

The owner of this 55, Ron Pfisterer, posts on Facebook all the time, you might want to contact him for info:

http://www.generationhighoutput.com/...-nomad-sunmad/

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Does anyone know what stainless I need to use to match up with the stock stainless in terms of color and composition so that I can modify the second set of stainless I have for the one piece door window. Does anyone one know what stainless was used on trifives?

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmotorcycle View Post
    Does anyone know what stainless I need to use to match up with the stock stainless in terms of color and composition so that I can modify the second set of stainless I have for the one piece door window. Does anyone one know what stainless was used on trifives?
    I think it's probably 400 series stainless but I don't know for sure. Most 300 series (austenitic) stainless steels aren't ferromagnetic, so if it's ferromagnetic it's not 300 series. I've never checked to see. I know 400 series was commonly used for auto trim.

What part are you trying to match up to? I think 304 (the most common stainless) will match up in color just fine if you're just fabbing a custom piece.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Thanks for the response Chevynut. I am going to modify stock vertical inner and outter vent window trim (the ones needed for this modification, not the ones being removed) and I need stainless I can weld to them and have them match when they are finally sanded and polished out. I may need to modify the beltline inner and outer door trim too (I'll figure it out as I proceed). I plan to take pics. I just know I need an exact match in stainless metal otherwise once its all polished out, you will be able to see the difference in shine of the two different types of stainless. who could I follow up with that could definitely tell me the correct stainless I need to buy? I'm thinking I may need to buy damaged sacrafical trim at this point to get the same stainless.
    Last edited by Michaelmotorcycle; 10-16-2018 at 07:18 PM.

If you're going to weld the trim I think I would use a piece of trim as the "rod" since I don't know what type of stainless they used. There's a local guy here that has done a lot of stainless straightening and repair and I believe he's welded it. He's considered the best trim guy in this area. Try giving him a call....his name is Rodney:

http://stainlesstrim.com/

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I would have thought this piece was trashed...but Rodney fixed it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Wow! that is the kind of skill I'm looking to obtain, but I may need to just hire Rodney for my needs. I will check out the link to his site and hopefully he has some good solutions for me. Thanks Lazlo!