Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Not about power steering

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Well, if I was road-racing this deal then the above would be really important. But I am also not sure that changing the angle that minor amount would have that great an affect on the the turning ability. What all of this lacks is no one here has actually tried it - so I will either succeed with what I want to do or it will fail.
    I wouldn't try it myself because I know it won't work right. The inside tire has to turn farther than the outside tire in a turn or the tires will scrub. It's that simple and that's why Ackerman is used. What you're proposing with reverse Ackerman would cause the outside tire to turn further than the inside tire, which is all wrong. It would "work" on dirt or gravel where the tires could slide but it would be totally screwed up on dry pavement, especially at large turning angles and at low speed like in a parking lot. A pencil and paper should convince you that it won't work, if you don't believe it.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-14-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax