Thread: Prayers out to Florida

Member #:1653

Prayers out to Florida

Praying for your safety

Member #:33
    be safe everyone.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:530
    That drone footage of the Mexico Beach FL area shows the wholloping they took. Whole buildings moved around the city blocks. Destructive this one was. How do you keep yourself (much less your classic cars) safe when the wind blows like that?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/57%20Chevy%20Nomad%20wagon[/URL]

1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/59%20Apached%20Fleetside%20Big%20Window%20Shortbed[/URL]

Member #:3217
    Keep them underground! ie. in a basement on high ground...

Member #:115
    I saw that drone footage, and it makes me wonder why the hell anyone would live in those south-eastern coastal cities. I feel bad for the people there and I can't imagine having my life disrupted by that kind of weather every fall, and possibly having everything you own wiped out. That said, my wife just made me buy her a "park model" RV (tiny home) that's being moved to Rockport Texas today. That's where Harvey made landfall and devastated the town a year ago. Her parents live in an RV park down there and she wants a place to stay when she visits.

I just hope they don't move to Colorado or Montana.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I saw that drone footage, and it makes me wonder why the hell anyone would live in those south-eastern coastal cities.
    Thing is, this was a once in a generation (or longer) type storm and the hardest to hit the FL panhandle since 1850. So those who know forget and many don't know. Just like Crystal Beach near Galveston from Ike back in 2008. Wiped out blocks and blocks of homes due to the storm surge, not the wind. Just leveled them, not even much debris left. And just like Mexico Beach, a handful of structures still standing that were recently built to take it. Now much of it has been rebuilt. Same deal on the Mississippi coast from Katrina. Remember too that many of these on the beach were vacation homes not permanent residences.

Member #:2941
    Our family's prayers for all affected. We have lived many years in and around the Gulf Coast area and these are the sorts of things that can happen not only when you are right down on the beach (tidal surge in addition to wind damage + flooding from the rains). Even farther inland, flooding can occur because of the heavy rains due to local drainage issues. And in our area near Houston, as with Harvey and several other storms of recent memory...... The flooding from torrential rains in our area was compounded by heavy rains as the storm moved inland because the water draining into watersheds to our North has to flow downstream into the Gulf and a lot of it had to get there by way of the already flooded rivers, bayous and creeks that flow through here to the Gulf of Mexico.

Bama, except for some of the high rise buildings in downtown Houston which were built with gravel barriers around their foundations and electric sump pumps to constantly pump the ground water out, we don't have basements or underground storm cellars here. That is due mainly to the high water table and the expansive clay soils (we call the darker clay soils 'gumbo' due to their colour).

I worked heavy construction and later, doing construction inspection. One of my jobs was with Harris County. My inspection zone was from the Western Harris County line along Mound Creek, North of I-10 to Highway 290 and included unincorporated areas near Katy, Texas. And one of the things I inspected were new septic systems being installed (areas where there are no public sewage systems and water wells are drilled on property as well). Now Katy is West of Houston and a good piece inland. In the area around Katy, natural ground elevations are around 140 ft. above mean sea level. Ground water elevations during the time I worked in that area varied between 3 ft. and 7 ft. below natural grade depending on how much rain had fallen that year. Which makes it kind of dicey building an underground septic drain field (perforated pipe and all that). So for this and other reasons, a system which allows treated sewage water to be sprayed above ground like a sprinkler system late at night in areas away from the residence or commercial structure and the required minimum distance to water wells is permitted. Personally, I dislike these systems for reasons I won't get into here...... But just wanted to give you an idea of the high groundwater levels and why we don't build residential basements and storm cellars here.

Regarding ground elevations near the Gulf Coast...... To give you an idea how flat it is...... Around the chemical plants on the Houston Ship Channel (which is really an extension of Buffalo Bayou where the majority of other watersheds drain into and are carried out to the Gulf of Mexico)...... Ground elevations vary between 12 ft. and 20 ft. above mean sea level and at high tide, the Ship Channel backs up into the local bayous and drainage ditches. Which is why we had alligators running around the neighbourhood from time to time, closely followed by our Cajun neighbours looking to make a meal of them.

Think of it this way...... Mean sea level is an average sea level between high and low tides and does not take into account wave action. If you have tidal surge being pushed inland by a storm out in the Gulf...... This means the mean or average water level along the coast will rise by that amount + or minus the difference between high and low tide and not taking into account wave action.

So if you live on Galveston Island or near the refineries in Pasadena, Baytown, LaPorte as I once did and you are say 12 ft. above mean sea elevation, you may only be 9 ft. above during a normal high tide. And if you have a large hurricane bearing down on you that makes landfall at or near high tide with a tidal surge of 20 ft...... That means a solid wall of water 11 ft. high will push through (not counting for the added height of wind driven wave action). That is what happened in Mexico Beach, Florida. And that is why only a handful of newly constructed structures survived. I saw an interview with the gentleman who owned one (yes, he had the good sense to evacuate and return later to access damage). He said that he had it designed far above Code requirements and built to withstand winds of 250 MPH and it was built from reinforced concrete with foundation pilings driven 'to point of refusal' (meaning as deep as can physically be done with commercial pile driving equipment)...... Around 40 Ft. deep in this case. Even so...... Tidal surge completely took out the first floor walls and partitions leaving only the upright pilings the 2 upper floors are supported by and on the windward side, all the small, specially designed 250 MPH 'storm proof' windows in the upper floors were blown out. I mention this by way of showing how much power such a storm can have.

Our prayers to all affected by this storm,

Harry and Family
    Last edited by enigma57; 10-18-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Harry explained quite a few facts.

I'll add a short one. Much of the damage at Mexico Beach, FL was storm surge not wind damage. Wind blowing at 60-70 mph won't sweep you off your feet. 2-3 feet of water moving at 10-15 mph will.