Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Cold air intake

Registered Member

Member #:2602

Cold air intake

I'm looking for a col air intake setup for a LS 2 using a standard computer programme
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Member #:2775
    That's a pretty tight turn to have to make. About the only choice is to go straight L/R into the fender well. I'm going to eventually have the same issue, and makes me try and think of ways to get the top of the radiator, and support a little more forward. It is definitely an issue trying to come up with a better setup than an oil bath air cleaner on these cars.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I have a wide radiator like yours and that means the filler panels are too narrow for a cold air intake to go through them. Mine is an LS3 and the MAF must go in a certain location with a straight run which complicates things.

Search the site and see what trifiverichard did. He built an airbox to go under the passenger fender. He has a 56 and there's a bit more room for it than on a 55. I have a 55 and am building my own version. The 56 has more front overhang and this makes a 56 easier than a 55. Trifiverichard's airbox has its inlet on the inner fender in front of the radiator support. You can't do this on a 55, there's not enough room. So mine has the inlet under the fender.

Another way to do it, and very slick but also difficult, is the way a guy on the other site did it. He built an airbox with a panel filter to go under his radiator, picking up air at the bottom of the splash pan. Then looped from the airbox horizontally to the inner fender, followed the inner fender at an angle maybe 15° to vertical, and then horizontal to the throttle body. Very slick and very difficult to fit and fab. I gave some thought to doing that but my radiator configuration among other things made me abandon that. If you want to search at trifive.com the guy's screen name is racsanxxx. xxx meaning I don't remember the rest.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Another possibility Mick, is to make an elongated “pan” located between the motor and radiator (or just above the radiator) and use a flat filter or two on top of the pan, since your MAF sensor is located at the throttle body. With a little creativity, it could be made to both function well and look good... Richard
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 10-18-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Member #:115
    The distance between the firewall and radiator support is the same on a 55 and a 56. The reason a 56 has more room in front of the radiator is mostly due to the "pointed" grille. I think the fenders are about the same length, which should make the inner fenders about the same length too. I don't see why this design that Richard came up with can't be done on a 55....

I lowered the radiator support a couple of inches and went over the top of it, but my engine is a lot taller, I think. Maybe you need a taller manifold.

20120225_0001.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-18-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I think the fenders are about the same length, which should make the inner fenders about the same length too. I don't see why this design that Richard came up with can't be done on a 55....
    I don't think this is a true statement. I didn't see a way to do what Richard did on a 55 and I seriously tried.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I don't think this is a true statement. I didn't see a way to do what Richard did on a 55 and I seriously tried.
    It does look like the 56 fender is a little longer which surprises me since they use the same front bumper end and the radiator support is in the same place.

So what am I missing? It looks like there's plenty of room for a 4" hole just forward of the radiator support. And it really doesn't have to be round.....it could be any shape and the box could just match it. Here's a 55:

Here's a 56:

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

The problem wasn't the hole, it was making it all fit behind the headlight bucket, and making a radius transition to the box, which isn't necessary but I wanted that. To make it all fit, the smallest cross section would have been right at the inlet.

Member #:1707
    A mate has this intake on his 57.

Cheers, Des

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Nice work!