Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Need Holley Refresher course on power valves

  1. #11
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Member #:2764
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Something is wrong here I run a 1050 Dominator on a 13-1, 454 without power valves [not drilled for them]on factory 88 jets.
    Yes odd indeed. Although we are talking about the secondaries of a spreadbore.

    Do you use the jet extension tubes? Should I?
    Tony

    1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

  2. #12
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Member #:2764
    Posts
    625
    Rick, I checked the air bleeds and they are all clear. The plugs read well except one was dark, but when I put it back in it broke in half so it may have been cracked.

  3. #13
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2012

    Member #:625
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Yes odd indeed. Although we are talking about the secondaries of a spreadbore.

    Do you use the jet extension tubes? Should I?
    The only thing I have ever extended is the vent tubes in top.

  4. #14
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Member #:571
    Posts
    3,755
    A miss can mess up the wide band reading because you now have unburned fuel and excess oxygen in the exhaust even when the mixture is correct. It's possibly going to show lean rather than rich.

    On the vent tube extensions, they are always a good idea, especially if you run a hood scoop. As for jet extensions, you need them in the rear if the vehicle accelerates hard enough to push the fuel back in the bowl. This probably isn't happening on a street driven car like yours. I would think you'd need to have 60' times around 1.25 sec (or the potential for that) to need the extensions. Also the small extensions that fit in the counterbore of the jet are not my preferred way, rather I use a piece of 3/8" steel fuel line, and a plastic float that's either made with notches for the extensions or home done notches with epoxy to seal up the notch.

  5. #15
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Member #:2764
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The only thing I have ever extended is the vent tubes in top.
    I'm really sorry to hear that! Oh, on your carb, nevermind.

    I already have tall vents for another reason that I won't mention because I don't want to start a debate about it.

  6. #16
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Member #:2764
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    As for jet extensions, you need them in the rear if the vehicle accelerates hard enough to push the fuel back in the bowl. This probably isn't happening on a street driven car like yours. I would think you'd need to have 60' times around 1.25 sec (or the potential for that) to need the extensions.
    So far my best 60' was 1.647 Does that time start at the green light or when the wheels break the beam or whatever sensor?
    Tony

    1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

  7. #17
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2012

    Member #:625
    Posts
    2,212
    Your time starts when your front tires clear beam.

    In addition, I remove the rear piss whistle if so equipped, if a car launches hard it can cause issues.
    Last edited by markm; 10-17-2018 at 09:27 AM.

  8. #18
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Member #:2764
    Posts
    625
    I have no clue whatsoever as to what a rear piss whistle is. I even googled it and learned that piss whistling is a practice of making a horse piss on command (with a certain frequency whistle). Less weight for racing. I just can't make the connection?

    Do all times start then?

  9. #19
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2012

    Member #:625
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I have no clue whatsoever as to what a rear piss whistle is. I even googled it and learned that piss whistling is a practice of making a horse piss on command (with a certain frequency whistle). Less weight for racing. I just can't make the connection?

    from Jegs

    Holley Fuel Bowl Vent Baffle Whistle style
    part #510-26-89


    Do all times start then?
    Yes, except reaction it starts when green light comes on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •