Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks

Thread: My Old Nomad

Member #:615

My Old Nomad

My wife’s ’56 is almost ready for paint. I plan to go back with stock colors. I was looking for info on codes and sources for paint. I searched two search engines and typed in “sierra gold/adobe beige”. I was surprised at one result. I found my old Nomad for sale at a classic car dealership in Fort Worth.
    I bought the car in the mid 1970s.

I restored it in the late 90s and early 2000s, finishing it in 2002. It was mostly restored but with a 350 engine and 350 TH transmission. I had OEM AC dash vents and dual pulleys installed for AC and power steering. I already had power steering and a shortened steering column. But I was in a hurry to finish it so I could go to a Louisiana show that used Classic Chevy 1000 point judging to see how it would score. I planned to put on the AC and power steering after the summer.

I trailered it to Louisiana where it won best trailered modified and scored 986 points. I later went to a local parking lot show where it won best in class.

My third show was Good Guys in Fort Worth. When I drove in to park I saw a group of guys all dressed in shirts for a local chain of new car dealerships. They were busy preparing several classic cars for show. I parked and unloaded my lawn chairs. A man wearing one of those shirts was looking my car over. He introduced himself. He was the owner of that chain of car dealerships. He wanted to look under the hood and asked what engine and transmission I had. He made me an offer for the car. I told him I would think about it. He said the offer was for 5 minutes. I unloaded my ice chest and cleaning supplies. He came back and asked if I would take his offer. I said yes. He paid me, and got in the car and drove off. I had to get a ride home.

Later I got to take a tour of his shop. He had a crew of a several guys who restored and maintained his car collection. He even had a show room to display them in.

I haven’t seen the car since, until I saw the internet ad. He did add AC, power steering, tilt column, cross flow radiator and custom wheels. The rest of the car is pretty much how it was. When I restored the car I rolled the odometer back to zero. When I sold it the odometer showed less than 100 miles. The ad says that it now shows 102 miles.

If you want to see it here is a link. https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...air/101000427#

Member #:40
    Good looking nomad . Stance is too high for 20s. I think it’s on eBay as well
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Member #:33
    good looking 56. what did he buy it from you back then?
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Beautiful car! (except the tires and wheels they put on it)

Member #:115
    Looks like a nice restoration and I always liked the Sierra Gold/Adobe beige colors. Those are the colors my Nomad had from the factory. Nice work on the restoration. I agree with Mike, the car sits too high for the 20" wheels. The rear of the car needs to be dropped down at least 3" over those big wheels and the car has too much rake. The front could come down a bit too if the tires don't rub.....and if it was mine I'd lose the carburetor for sure . Whoever wrote that ad should start writing novels.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Beautiful car! (except the tires and wheels they put on it)
    What he said, nothing wrong that a good set of Torq Thrust would not cure. Same color as both my 56s.

Member #:615
    I agree with the comments about the wheels and stance. When I built it I had it at stock height. I am guessing they lowered the front and left the rear stock.

Here is what it looked like when I sold it. Stock height with 15 inch wheels.

56 Nomad.jpg