Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Radio Questuion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:3916

Radio Questuion

So my 55 came with a DIN radio in it (yep last owner removed the stock radio and cut the dash ) anyway I thinking about removing it and installing one of the aftermarket radios that look like the stock ones now here's my question: I found a company called Retro Sound that makes a kit to make it possible to install a stock looking radio has anyone used this kit and if so how's the fit and look?

Member #:3249
    I've got a RetroSound in my 56. Stock looking? I doubt it, but it looks fine in my dash and works ok. I'm not big on sound systems, I've just got it hooked up to 2 rear speakers, and I'm ok with that.

Registered Member

Member #:3916
    Thanks for the reply, not looking for big sound eather just the look as it looks shitty with that DIN in it.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    What is a DIN, I am not a fan of modern sound system either.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What is a DIN, I am not a fan of modern sound system either.
    Rectangular front no posts with knobs.

My solution? I use a vintage Alpine 7286 removable full front from the late 80s in a specially fabbed glovebox mount, that came from a specialty audio shop for the 55. It fits well and I use a bow-tied 55 block-off plate for the dash. I use the vintage stuff because my Dad sold it for years and the 80's were the golden age for car audio. I have 4 sets of ADS 320i's for the back and ADS and Nakamichi amps that I will use to build out the system when the time is ready.

The new electronics is actually pretty convenient if you want blue tooth and USB ports etc.

I had no issue giving up the glove box for the stereo.

S
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 11-06-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered Member

I spent $550 on a look likes stock radio for my 55 from CCI and it is junk. Looks OK but its electronics are junk. It does not like extended periods of cranking. Manufacture said you should always turn off when starting car.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I spent $550 on a look likes stock radio for my 55 from CCI and it is junk. Looks OK but its electronics are junk. It does not like extended periods of cranking. Manufacture said you should always turn off when starting car.
    That is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. What happens if you crank the engine long with it turned on?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Radio quits and you have to disconnect battery to reset it.

Member #:516
    Radio quits and you have to disconnect battery to reset it.
    Ha Ha I thought you meant cranking it up load not cranking the engine!!! LOL

Member #:115
    New radios have so much better sound and more features than the old crap from the 60's and 70's. If you like to keep the stock look, just buy a nice head unit and hide it somewhere, and leave the shitty stock radio in place for looks. I'm using a double DIN Kenwood touchscreen unit in my console.

Definition of: DIN radio DIN radio

A standard automobile radio body size. A DIN radio (single DIN) measures 2x7", while a double DIN measures 4x7". When factory radio/CD players are replaced with after market units, the DIN standard ensures compatibility; however, new or altered dashboard trim may be required.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax