Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not a Nomad but look what I saw today

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I drove my 55 to a function and legally parked in a handicapped spot and an a hole in a bug squeezed in the space between the spots.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    I agree with you about the front end to an extent... I really like the fenders and hood... I think the stock front bumper situation is way out of hand, especially with how long the car is... the front bumper adds an extra foot. .. I'm 50/50 on the belt line dip, I think it would work as long as some of the other styling cues are toned down..... I think the rear tail fins should follow the arc of the tailgate once you get above the tail lights and not protrude up, just continue to follow the radius of the rear quarter... The rear bumper needs to be one piece and be integrated/seamless with the rear wheel well trim.. I'm still confused about where to take the front end, not sure which direction would suit it best.
    I think Safaris are cool cars, and they're rare and different. But you can see why the Nomads with the cleaner lines are preferred over them. The guys at Pontiac got a little carried away with the styling . I agree that the rear bumper would look better as a 1-piece and I wonder if a 55 wagon rear bumper would work. Otherwise you'd probably have to fab one up yourself. Not sure how to clean up the front end to make it look a little less bulky. Personally I think the "dip" interrupts the flow of the quarters and if I was modifying a Safari I'd get rid of it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I think the "dip" interrupts the flow of the quarters and if I was modifying a Safari I'd get rid of it.
    Exactly, its like a wave in the 1/4 panel, for no real reason.

Member #:3454
    I think the 55 Safari was a better looking car with the split bumper on the front and the hockey stick molding on the side trim.

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I think the 55 Safari was a better looking car with the split bumper on the front and the hockey stick molding on the side trim.
    I agree, I'm still trying to find a 55 donor car for a set of rear quarters... I was bidding on one earlier this year, but it got way out of hand.... almost 5k. The only ones I can find are out west in Kansas, Colorado, etc.... I'm far from needing them at the moment though, so I've got plenty of time to sit and wait until one pops up.

Member #:40
    57 safari is the best of the three in my opinion , and they only made about 1300 . That roofline and tailgate will look good on just about anything from the 50s.
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12