Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 wagon color

Registered Member

Member #:2425

57 wagon color

My 57 9 passenger wagon has been repainted some time before I purchased it and had faded from the original copper and cream to more of a flat root beer brown and cream. I've been debating the original copper or the possibility of more of a tangerine and cream. Thoughts from the crowd?

Member #:3217
    I think they always look better in their original colors...

Member #:615
    Sierra gold/adobe beige runs in my blood. Between my wife and I we have had 6 tri-fives (and one house) that color. In the 70s and 80s no paint manufacturer had the codes to mix those colors. You tried to get paint matched to small color chips or try to find an original car to try to match. They didn't have computer match then, only the skillful eye of the guy at the paint store. If you go to Bing search engine and type in sierra gold/adobe beige images, three of my cars will show up. They were all a slightly different colors.

I recently went to my local PPG dealer with the original Tri-five code numbers. The had the code to mix sierra gold in lacquer and adobe beige in the cheapest single stage urethane they sell. I didn't want either. I chose early 2000 Chrysler colors in top of the line base coat/clear coat.

Some people have found colors very close and assigned the name sierra gold or adobe beige to the colors they found. If you are building a stock appearing car and want to look original here are the codes "supposed" to match sierra gold/adobe beige. I'm not sure they are the same as the original colors.

adobe beige code.jpg

sierra gold code.jpg

(Thanks to Blackwidow on the other site for the pictures.)

Or if you are building a custom like Chevynut or a resto-mod like I am doing my wife's car, you may want to find a modern car color that is close and that you like and go with that.

Registered Member

Member #:2425
    I really appreciate the info and feedback.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Sierra gold/adobe both of my 56 are that color, one originally and the other repainted that way. I could not live with green

Member #:615
    My '57 wagon was originally solid adobe beige on the outside and sierra gold on the interior. I painted the exterior two tone sierra gold and adobe beige to match my other cars.