Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Headers

Registered Member

Member #:625

Headers

Who makes good headers for a SBC in a 55-57 pass. car in stock location with stock motor mounts.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The old school Hooker is #2458. Hangs real low but otherwise a good header.

I forget the old school Hedman p/n, but it's the same as they sold in the late 60s.

Both work with stock engine mounts, stock clutch linkage works too.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Hedman HCH12. I have been searching for a pair.

Attachment 9349

Scorp

Registered Member

I don't think those HCH12s are made anymore. Not for a long time either.

The Hooker 2458 is 1-5/8" tubes/3" collectors.

Hedman has a header with similar specs to the 2458. They also sell a header with 1-3/4" tubes/3" collectors. Check Summit.

And of course there are the more modern headers like the Earle Williams, Hooker 2112, and Dougs D353 which require side mounts and a crossmember, and removal of the frame mount brackets for the bellhousing mounts.

Registered Member

I will see if I can find the Hedman ones. Not for me helping a friend its one of his customers cars. Guy doing the work say car has stock motor mounts and a large cap HEI, I did not think this possible. Are 57s different than 55&56, my memory says no,
    Last edited by markm; 12-01-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Registered Member

All 3 years are the same. If a large cap HEI fits his car with stock mounts, it's not impossible but most don't.

To me the big thing on the headers I listed are that all but one of the Hedman ones are 1-5/8" tubes, which are usually too small for a 350 or bigger.

Summit lists all the headers I mentioned.

Years ago I ran the 1-3/4" Hedman mentioned, they were good headers except that the flanges were cut for very small ports (smaller than stock), so I had to grind them bigger and re-weld the tubes to the flanges. That was almost 50 years ago and no telling whether they still make them that way or not. Hopefully not. But it was a quick fix regardless.

Member #:225
    To me...it's about ride height. Headers that are designed to hang below the stock rear trans mounts will not work with a lowered car too well. If the plan is to never lower the car, then, "standard" trifive headers will work. I'm partial to Hookers (headers that is!!)..

Registered Member

This guys desire is to build a late 60s clone, no dropped spindles.