Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People Need to Get Thicker Skin

Member #:3477
    People and companies institute the "bans" because they are afraid. Its not much different than historical book bans and burnings. These happened because people were afraid of the words. They were and remain COWARDS.

So Happy Holidays to the cowards, may you find much fear and isolation. I am going to now watch a Christmas Story, wish everyone a Merry Christmas and tell my wife that Baby, its cold outside.

Scorp
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 12-05-2018 at 04:40 AM. Reason: typo
    Scorpion1110

Rides:

1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1970 Honda Trail 70

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I will miss you.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    People and companies institute the "bans" because they are afraid. Its not much different than historical book bans and burnings. These happened because people were afraid of the words. They were and remain COWARDS.

So Happy Holidays to the cowards, may you find much fear and isolation. I am going to now watch a Christmas Story, wish everyone a Merry Christmas and tell my wife that Baby, its cold outside.

Scorp
    Which is another tactic that the Left uses: pressure businesses to adopt Leftist positions. For example, you see it in a company's advertising, where even the vaguest appearance of stereotyping is totally avoided. Also, I notice in virtually every TV commercial where there is a man and a woman talking to each other, the woman always makes the man look dumb or subordinate. It's part of The Left's attempt to de-masculinize men.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    Which is another tactic that the Left uses: pressure businesses to adopt Leftist positions. For example, you see it in a company's advertising, where even the vaguest appearance of stereotyping is totally avoided. Also, I notice in virtually every TV commercial where there is a man and a woman talking to each other, the woman always makes the man look dumb or subordinate. It's part of The Left's attempt to de-masculinize men.
    I retired from Hewlett-Packard Company which is based in Kommiefornia after 35+ years of employment. I started in 1977 before the PC bullshit and it was an awesome company to work for. Over the years I saw their policies change, especially after around 2000 after Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard were no longer in charge. Those guys are legends in the tech industry and really cared for employees.

I remember they started having a "bring your child to work day" so you could bring your kids in and show them what you did, and what the company did, to get them interested in tech. After a few years it changed to "bring your daughter to work day". They had activities, displays, and all sorts of things for the girls to do. It wasn't just bringing them in to see what you did for a living. I challenged the management and asked when they were going to have a "bring your son to work day" in the name of "equality". I was told that I could bring my son in anytime and that girls are discouraged from becoming engineers and scientists so they needed to treat them special (in so many words). I told them that's a lie, and many girls/women become scientists and engineers. My daughter has an undergraduate degree in Molecular Biology and a PhD from Colorado State. Se is currently doing research and a tenured professor at the University of Vermont. Yes, I took her to work with me a couple of times and showed her how chips were made, and I do think that sparked an interest in science and technology. But it's no different for a boy.

Another thing they did that still irks me to this day and is still company policy is their policy on health insurance. The company covers "domestic partners" only if the employees domestic partner is of the same sex. In other words, if I was living with a woman who was my domestic partner, the company would not let me put her as a dependent on my health insurance, but if I was gay I could. I still think that is total BS.

There were a lot of other policies that they instituted over time to be PC. For a while we had security at every gate into the company grounds, and more at the lobby. We had a gun range and an archery range for the employees that was sponsored and supported by the company. Those are all gone now. We used to be able to take guns and/or bows into work....no kidding. Guys worked on their guns in the company machine shop. Now you're not even allowed to bring "weapons" into the parking lot and the machine shop is off-limits to employees. Bill and Dave would be rolling in their graves.

For me the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, was a run-in I had with a female engineering manager just before I retired. For years we were allowed to use lathes, mills, and all the sheetmetal fab equipment in our machine shop. The company encouraged people to learn to use the equipment and become "hands-on". I made parts for my car all the time and they just asked to have someone else in the shop with you while you worked, and to report any problems or damage to the equipment. We were even allowed in on weekends and they let us check out keys to the shop and machines. They would even sell us large pieces of material at company cost and order it in for us. I needed to make some parts one time and wanted to use one of the lathes after this female manager was responsible for the shop. I went in and asked to use a lathe, and was told I had to get "training". I asked what training I needed and said I'd take any classes I needed to. I never got an answer. I kept pushing the issue and told the manager that we had always had access as employees to company resources, and I considered it a "benefit" of working there. She said there was no such benefit and the company couldn't afford to pay for material for my projects. I said I'd bring all my material in. She said they couldn't afford to have machines broken down. I reminded her of a sign on the door that said the shop was available for employee use, and that sign was taken down. Finally she said she didn't understand why I couldn't just have the shop or a local shop they out-sourced to make my parts for me. I said that I was building a car and liked making my own parts, and as a woman she probably wouldn't understand that. She promptly filed a complaint against me with HR and my manager talked to me about my "gender bias" comments. I couldn't believe that the bitch did that. I bought my own lathe shortly after that.

There are many more examples of things that changed drastically over the 35+ years I worked there. I really miss the way the company was in the first 20 years or so of my employment, but I'm glad I retired when I did. I don't miss the PC bullshit.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:3217
    wow CN ... That WAS some drastically serious changes that HP went thru... and I don't blame you for retiring, as I would have been seriously pissed at some of those situations!

PS. I greatly admired Hewlett Packard for many many years, as many other engineers did for their great company environment and super products!

Member #:3817
    Friend sent this. Many have seen it but maybe some not. I get the same feelings of disgust every time I see it.
    After watching look at the comments at the bottom. Very funny.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol9r-WCb6No

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    What's got to blow is being the guy that watches things degrade. New people will come in and never know how things used to be and they'll think present business is normal. Everyplace I've ever worked has taken away people's fringe benefits and things as time goes on. It never ends. I envy you guys that had a chance to step out of the rat race and let someone else deal with it.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Some of this kind of stuff is done in the name of "safety". PPO is ok, but restricting you from using tools that you are qualified to use is something else. It's kind of a corporate nanny state. It has permeated the oil business and extended to manufacturing in recent years.

One of the dumbest things I ever saw in regard to this was the company banning you from carrying a pocket knife and using it for the things you use pocket knives for, like to open a package. To use a knife you had to be authorized and trained and had to use a "company knife" with your name on it. Instituted a few months after the company gave me a Swiss Army knife with the company logo on it for a service anniversary. What a pile of crap. Similar restrictions on using a forklift.

Member #:225
    I worked as a civilian for the Department of Defense (Navy Exchange) for just under 31 yrs. The entire time, as a salaried manager. Political Correctness within the DoD and Navy itself was rampant. Departments are hamstrung with regulatory requirements, special training, and mind-numbing indoctrination classes on "how to think" coupled with special sensitivity training.
    To make sure of pure PC, full time EEO professionals are hired which not only cost in payroll, but make it their profession to keep PC-EEO matters an on-going issue. Employees who are under or non performers only have to ring the EEO bell to get an audience . In many cases they are paid $$ just to drop their case, which I found almost always non-merited. All of this costs us, the taxpayer in one way or the other.

I'm now retired. Thank goodness.
    Last edited by 55mike; 12-09-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I don't know about that strange movement? All I know is that my girlfriend has been wearing a night shirt that says "Baby it's cold outside". I'm sure there must be a better version of the song than Jessica Simpsons crap.

Member #:115
    I was at the gym tonight and heard Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" and I wondered why nobody's bitched about that song being offensive to those with "gender identity" isses yet.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast