Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Where'd the money go?

Member #:2941
    I was going to attach some 'news' links for those here who are invested in the stock market. So I went 'googling' just now. However, I found 'news sources' to vary greatly and the great majority to be heavily skewed depending upon the bias of the media outlet....... With the media outlets that typically are negative towards the President being negative in their 'reporting' regarding the stock market outlook, as well.

From what I read today...... The anti-Trump crowd would have us believe the President is the 'anti-Christ', the sky is falling and its all the President's fault. They seem to be quite sure about that and parrot one another (key words, phrases and themes) to the point that one wonders if they were all given the same 'talking points' at the start of the day.

The 'others' seem to be all over the place as to what the market is doing...... Why...... And what is likely to happen in future. So what are we to believe?

Well, just as with the regular 'news'...... I find the alarmist anti-Trumper media and their continuing negative 'reports' not to be believable...... Emotion based and hateful, rather than fact based and unbiased.

And I find the 'others' who are all over the place to be speculative for the most part. Also emotion based...... Though seemingly without ill intent.

So what are we to believe? Me...... I will sit it all out...... Both the vitriol and histrionics of the anti-Trumpers and the overly optimistic speculations of the 'others', as well. And just listen to that small voice within which tells me...... When all is said and done...... 'It will be OK'.

Best regards to all,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Whoosh! Apple down 10% today, leading market indicators down 3%.

Apple was down based on dropping I-phone sales. Would have been down farther but I bought a new I-phone last month, LOL. Against my best intentions.

Is Apple trying to put pressure on both sides here?

Member #:115
    I have never owned Apple stock because I've always thought it was too risky. It's been a great investment for some who got in a few years ago. A friend of mine owned some at $6 before the 7 for 1 forward split, but I don't know if he still has it.

To me the problem with Apple is their phone prices have soared and people are turning to alternatives. Their newest high-end phones are $1200...who needs one of those? They apparently thought they could just keep selling bigger and better phones and keep jacking the price up. I think they found what the market will bear and it's not $1200. It's probably not even $1000.

I think one reason Apple has done so well in the past is that carriers like Verizon buried the cost of the phone into your monthly fee and you got a new phone for free every 2 years....that's all changed now, and I believe that's having an impact on Apple]s sales. I have an iphone SE and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon....it does everything I want it to do.

Apple's market cap dropped more than the entire market cap of many companies today. The problem is the weak sales might not be due to any weakness in the economy, just that people are fed up with paying absurd prices for a phone. To me, a phone shouldn't cost any more than a PC. The perceived weakness brought down the entire market today, almost back to the Christmastime lows.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

I wouldn't have bought an I-phone myself last month but I was having so many problems with dropped calls I had to do something. Switched carriers and phone brands. Had a locked phone so had to buy a new one. All is well except it costs more now. I bought an 8 not a 10.

Member #:3217
    My daughters gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas; I played with it for one day than gave it back to them. I prefer my fitbit...

WTH wants everything they say and do 'on the cloud'??? NOT me.... I want my phone to be a phone, and my watch to be a watch...

Member #:2941
    Dow closes more than 700 points higher as investors cheer jobs data, Powell comments

Published: Jan 4, 2019 4:21 p.m. ET

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/st...lse_full_story

Cinch up your saddles, boys...... Its going to be quite a ride......

HB
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Member #:115
    IMO it's pretty obvious that Apple's problems that trashed the market on Thursday really have nothing to do with the economy. They blame tariffs for the past quarter's weakness in China but I don't buy that. Huawei is a large ($92B) Chinese company that's selling smartphones and I heard a rumor that the government told its people to stop buying Apple products due to the tariffs.....don't know if that's true.

https://www.google.com/search?q=huaw...w=1525&bih=699

"Huawei overtook Ericsson in 2012 as the largest telecommunications-equipment manufacturer in the world,[4] and overtook Apple in 2018 as the second-largest manufacturer of smartphones in the world, behind Samsung Electronics.[5] It ranks 72nd on the Fortune Global 500 list.[6]"

The economy is strong by all indications and the job report really saved the market from further decline. If Trump gets border wall funding and ends the fight with the Dems, and if the Dems work for the American people instead of trying to take Trump down, we might actually have a pretty good market in 2019. That's a lot of "ifs" since the Dems are foaming at the mouth right now trying to attack Trump and turn back his changes. I gained more back on Friday than I lost on Thursday so I'm feeling pretty good right now that things are turning around, but we'll see in the coming weeks.

By the way, did you guys notice the Dems are pushing to eliminate the Electoral College (won't happen) and to require future Presidents to release their tax returns? But I guess they still don't have to release their birth certificates or their school records. The Dem party has turned into a mob and it's pretty funny to watch their antics.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

I think it's pretty simple. The Chinese I-phone knockoffs are acceptably good and cost less than Apple. Apple's slowing sales in China were reported by the media back in the fall. Apple's press release just confirmed it, made it official.

I think Apple is playing a PR game with both China and the US, begging for a trade deal between them. Apple being prosperous in both places is good for each. But they probably needed to make the announcement prior to the quarterly report, the hit might have been bigger then.

I think in the near term, as Apple goes, so goes the stock market. The strength of the stock market is in the so-called "tech" stocks. Friday's news was tri-fold, good job report, Fed backing off, possibility of trade deal progress.

I don't own any Apple directly, I probably have a mutual fund or two that has an appreciable number of shares. I do own stock of one of their suppliers.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456