Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Good Rebuilder of Standard Transmissions & Rearends (within driving distance of Houston)

Member #:2941

Looking For Good Rebuilder of Standard Transmissions & Rearends (within driving distance of Houston)

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a really good rebuilder of standard transmissions and rearends withing driving distance (1 hours drive) of the Houston area?

Also need driveshaft shortened and rebalanced.

If so, your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:625
    How far is Cajun Jon from you I see him from Lincoln Ne, to Pate at swap meets. I friend of mine who owns a very reputable shop uses him on Munchies and T-10. Around here we use either one of the HD truck shops or a machine shop for shafts.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Cajun Jon is from somewhere in Central TX, can't remember just where, maybe close to Austin/Waco. So certainly farther than an hour drive.

There is a good transmission shop in Dallas, but of course that's even farther.

There is a shop that specializes in rear gears in Baytown, Pyle Bros. Don't know much about them except I've seen some pricing that I considered a bit high.

I don't know of a driveshaft shop in Houston, but there's bound to be one, in fact surely more than one. There is (at least was) a shop that does a lot of truck driveshafts near 529 and 290, that one had an iffy reputation years back.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Member #:3477
    Harry-

If its a Muncie, its not real bad. Id be happy to walk you through it and tell you what parts you will need to upgrade the box. My stuff used to get run a lot up at 75/80 Dragway. I still build them occasionally for guys.

It will be a piece of cake

Ping me if you want to give it a shot.

Scorp
    Scorp

Rides:

1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1967 MGB GT
    1970 Honda Trail 70
    1974 Yamaha 175 Enduro
    2004 Tacoma 4x4

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I miss you everyday.

Thanks, guys! Appreciate your help. I have been to Pyle Brothers in Baytown some years ago. At the time, they were heavily involved in building 9" Ford rearends. I had the opportunity to check out their shop and they were using heavier wall steel tube for axle housings than I had seen with other such conversions. I'll give them a holler and see if they also work on original '57 Chevy rearends.

I have heard of Kajun Jon up in Whitney, Texas. May give him a holler to see if he might want to take this transmission build on. If not, I will see if I can come up with the correct C-clip pliers and a few other tools and tear it down myself. In that event, will definitely check in with Scorpion for any tips on this job he may have.

This transmission build will be 'a little different'. I did something similar in the early '70s but this will have to be done differently due to different ratios and tooth count on gears this time 'round.

What I am doing is rebuilding and modifying a Borg Warner T-85 3-speed transmission with the R-11 4-pinion planetary gear to fit up behind my '57 Chevy bellhousing.

Transmission is a BW T-85 N from '66 Ford pickup. To make it fit my GM bellhousing, I have a T-85 gear case from a '62 Pontiac. The T-85 3-speed came behind the 421 Super Duty engines in those years, but GM did not have an overdrive version. The OD versions were found in Fords, Studebakers, '56 Packards, etc. T-10 4-speed was optional behind early '60s Pontiac Super Duty engine.

So the plan is to rebuild the T-85 OD Ford truck transmission and when reassembling it, to use the Pontiac T-85 non-OD gear case along with the input shaft and front bearing retainer from an early GM version T-10 to fit it up to my Chevy bellhousing. The T-10 4-speed was developed from the T-85 3-speed and shares many internal parts. The GM T-10 input shaft I have here has same tooth count as the Ford truck T-85 input shaft, so I am hoping it will interchange, but won't know for sure until transmission is disassembled and I can lay both input shafts side by side and measure them. If I recall correctly, 1 additional hole must be drilled in the rear of the non-OD T-85 gear case to fit the OD unit behind it.

Anyway, that's 'Plan A.' If the GM T-10 input shaft won't work in my T-85, 'Plan B.' will involve utilizing the Ford input shaft and some machine work to shorten and turn down Ford front bearing retainer to GM spec. And machining a pilot bushing having GM OD, Ford ID and being a bit longer than standard GM pilot bearing.

Shorten and rebalance driveshaft......

The T-85 OD transmission is about 6" longer than even the original long tailshaft '57 tranny. There is a place down in Houston that does this work. Randy's Driveshaft Service. I'll give them a holler when I'm ready and have final measurements.

The rearend...... If I rebuild my original '57 rearend, will see if Tom Parsons (DZ Auto up in Oklahoma) is still doing this work. Or may go to a stronger rearend, but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Best regards to all,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 12-27-2018 at 03:58 AM.

Update...... Just got off the phone with Jon Bergeron (Kajun Jon) regarding transmission rebuild. Sad to report that Jon has inoperable cancer and no longer does this work. Please remember Jon in your thoughts and prayers. He has a tough fight ahead.

G-d bless,

Harry

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Sad to hear about Jon, I have bought parts from him on several occasions over the years and spoken to him numerous times at swap meets. A nice guy in the car business.

Yes, was very sad to learn of this. We will keep Jon and his family in our thoughts and in our prayers.

Best regards,

Harry

Member #:1704
    I've been talking to Texas Auto Gear, in Magnolia, about repairing the 12 Bolt housing in my 57. They were referred to me by Pyle Brothers.
    1955 2D HT, 1957 2D Sedan, 2004 Z06 Corvette, http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/OL...?sort=3&page=0

Thanks, OLKY55! I'll give them a holler!

Best regards,

Harry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast