Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattis resigning!

Member #:3217

Mattis resigning!

Just heard this morning that Gen Mattis is resigning from his Sec Defense post due to 'differences' with President Trump...

If Trump continues along his current path he may not have ANY voters by 2020...
    Maybe Pence (or another sane conservative) will run against him in the Republican primary?? Trump seems to insult or otherwise alienate everyone who is close to him.

Trump is beginning to make me think that 'sooner or later', he's going to conflict with ANYONE who works for him, or around him. That goes hand in hand with his off-the-cuff 'tweeting' crap!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 12-21-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Calm down, Trump will prevail. I guess you're a Rino? or a Democrat?

Member #:33
    sad to see the general leaving.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Calm down, Trump will prevail. I guess you're a Rino? or a Democrat?
    Absolutely NOT, I've supported him and voted for him (once he was the last standing Republican - although I've never cared for him personally based on all the news over 50 yrs). I don't know if he understands yet, that the ONLY reason he was elected was the alternative (Clinton) was deemed WORSE by most of his voters!

But rather than learning and growing in office, Trump seems to be 'blowing up'! IS there anyone who began with him that is still with him? Mattis was his BEST choice initially, and now he's fed up with Trump and resigning!

Do you think YOU could work for a man who chose you as an 'advisor', but never listened to your inputs, and irritated everyone whom you were supposed to work with, and in addition to that tossed out public insults (via tweets or via the news reporters) about you and everyone else who works for him? He seems to think that he's perfect, and everyone else is totally imperfect! I think the Mattis resignation will be the last straw for many of us who have stood with him so far!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 12-21-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    I like Pence and think he would make a good leader. How bout the vet that's raising money to help build the WALL. It say's a lot about how a lot of American's feel!!!!

Member #:115
    I don't think it's fair to call someone a RINO just because they don't like Trump's demeanor. RINOs are guys like Jeff Flake and John McCain who support more liberal policies but call themselves Republicans. Maybe they're more "centrist" although Flakes latest carbon tax proposal is about as liberal as it gets. McCain seemed to be in favor of amnesty or at least sympathized with illegals. McCain is the ONLY reason we still have failed Obamacare since he voted with the Democrats on the repeal.

Trump sure has changed "politics as usual" and he's really shaken up Washington since he was elected. He wasn't my first choice for President and although I think he's trying to do the right things for the country, his personality is really starting to rub me wrong at times. He started name-calling right off the bat with his "Lyin' Ted" and "Little Marco" insults during the primaries but I looked past that. I thought the "Crooked Hillary", "Pocahontas", and "Rocketman" names were kinda funny. But none of this is very professional, not to mention Presidential. Although I voted for him, like most people I thought he had a very slim chance of winning.

I think everyone in Trump's cabinet has turned over at least once, some twice or more, in just 2 years. Seems like he's still playing his role in "The Apprentice" with our government. His arrogance is almost embarrassing and he brags too much publicly. What we don't see is what's going on behind the scenes.

Trump makes a decision, then he changes it, which isn't a good reflection of his leadership. He said he'd sign the latest spending bill without funds for the wall to keep the government running, now he's refusing to do so. I like the fact that he stands his ground, but he can't waffle. He publicly attacks everyone who doesn't agree with him, even those who he appointed. After they're gone he calls them "stupid", "bad people", etc. Yes, sometimes he's right as in the case of James Comey and probably others. Unfortunately a lot of good people have left his Administration. People like Mattis, Haley, and Kelly.

That said, Trump is also under attack by Republicans, Democrats, and the media who are trying to take him down or at least discredit him. So some of this is understandable but there's better ways to fight back than a tweet storm in the middle of the night.

There's a lot I like about Trump and he's done some good things, but there's plenty I don't like. He's a very poor speaker, and I can look beyond that because a silver tongue doesn't make you a good leader, but a good con-artist. His tweets, while often true, are also often childish. He doesn't seem to take the advice of those he's hired to help him run the country. He seems to have put the government in turmoil, and most recently caused chaos in the markets.

If Trump continues like this, he's going to make himself very vulnerable to a primary challenger in 2020, if he makes it that far. He's been caught lying a couple of times, like about the Stormy Daniels payments where he first said he knew nothing about them and now he's back-pedaled. While I don't think the payments are anyone's business, I worry about what else is going to come out.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Outstanding post, ChevyNut! I agree with everything you wrote... 1000%...

... adding this: The cabinet posts are intended to be primary advisors to the President in their specialized arenas. Unfortunately Trump doesn't seem to heed (or even to want) their advice; he seems to want 'Me too' people... From my own work experience over nearly 50 yrs, I consider that characteristic to be the single WORST characteristic a manager can have, and that characteristic of Trump's seems to be consistent with his performance on his 'apprentice' series... as CN points out.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 12-21-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Registered Member

I think Menuchin (sp?), Mulvaney, and Ross - the money guys - have been there from the start. Pompeo has been there from the start too but switched jobs, as Mulvaney may soon.

I don't think Trump changes his mind on decisions, rather he deceives by making some think the decision will be different from what it turns out. Some of this is "pacing" or putting some subjects at the back of the news rather than being immediate. He did that with gun control after the Florida shootings and he also did it by offering the Dems hope for a DACA solution (which they didn't take anyway).

Yes he's crude, frankly the swamp needs to be met with crudeness at times.

Member #:225
    I think CN sums it up about right. DJT, could've been the best in decades... I voted for him, and probably will again.. but, man, I wish the dude what shut the hell up and stop tweeting please!!!! Everyone knows he's not a Sunday School Teacher, and as Rick said, we need some direct communication to help drain the swamp, I just wish the man would quit making it soooooooo easy for the left, media, RINO's etc to take shots at him. He's his own worst enemy, and it/he makes supporting him hard to do.

Registered Member

Since the news first broke, and the initial posts were made, I heard some comments that Mattis was far more an establishment, swamp guy than I had realized. Which takes the edge off this for me.

Let's face it, you don't get to be one of the top 5 or 10 generals/admirals prior to being named Secretary of Defense without bowing to the swamp people to some degree. So it's kind of built in. And don't forget, Obama went through at least 3 heads of the Defense Dept. too. He had the opposite problem, finding military people for a regime that wanted to destroy the military.

Which leads to one of Trump's dilemmas, you have to have qualifications to be confirmed/hired for many high gov't jobs. You get the OJT to get the qualifications by working with the swamp. Lots of ex-Bush guys in higher up positions (both from GW and GHW) now. They are the only ones with experience and qualifications that lean Republican at all. The Reagan guys are retired or dead for the most part.

Even Kavanaugh is a "Bushy".
    Last edited by Rick_L; 12-27-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast