Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meco Torch

Member #:2017
    I have two of the miller helmets, so I took one of the lenses out of the helmet, taped it to the iPhone, and propped it to the correct angle. High tech shit up here.

I've heard an ND filter would do even better but hoping to find someone that has used one on actual welding videos so I'm not guessing at whether $100 filter will work or not..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
    These are filmed through the Miller Digital Elite, Weld setting 9, delay 2. sensitivity 6. I think I still need to come up with something better, especially for showing any TIG welding. Are there any Photography guru's that can steer me in the right direction for filming weld processes?
    Not a guru, but I know a little bit about photo/video. Are you using the stock iphone software to film the video?

In order to capture something like welding where you have an extremely bright light source you'll need to have manual control over your exposure settings. When using the apple camera software, it will automatically determine your aperture and ISO settings based on the brightest input source, the welding arc. I just looked on the app store and there is an app called ProCam 6 for $5.99 that will allow you to manually control the aperture and ISO on both photos and videos. I also happen to have an old ND8 filter laying around from a camera lens I no longer own... Let me try out the setup later tonight ( I have a small piece of 304 I need to repair for someone anyway) and I'll report back. If it works, you can have the ND filter, its been sitting in a box for 4 years.

Thanks, interested to see how well it works.
    Robert

Registered Member

Well, the ND8 isn't enough.. It's close, but the arc blows it out and all you can see is the tail end of the puddle. I tried several combos of different ISO's and apertures and nothing really worked. . I I think an ND10 or 12 would work great. I tried to replicate your setup using my iphone and the procam 6 software, but I couldn't get it to focus at all, every attempt came out blurry. The Procam app does allow manual control of the video, but it's a bit clunky to change the settings for videos, especially when compared to a DSLR.

The video below is from my canon camera, ISO 100, aperture 16 with an ND8 filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoV...ature=youtu.be

If I can find a cheap ND10 or 12 that fits my current setup I'll purchase it and try again..

EDIT: Just found an ND10 for $18 on amazon, I'll give it a shot.
    Last edited by 56Safari; 01-16-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I get a message saying your video is unavailable. But I think focusing is what could be better on MP&C's video.

I don't have a clue what Ron Covell uses but his welding videos show everything real well. He's sponsored by Miller, touts their stuff in his videos, so I'm sure has access to what they know about videoing/photographing welding. Probably not cheap stuff either!

Registered Member

It was listed as private for some reason, it should be fixed now.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I can see your video now. Focus is pretty good, I can see your torch movements well, but the puddle is not showing up as well as in MP&C's video. Between the two of you, looks like there's hope for improvement, as each of you has some excellence, if you can get the best of both.

Registered Member

Yeah, the arc is overexposed on mine because the ND8 filter just isn't enough shade.. you can faintly see the tail end of the puddle.. After posting the video I started wondering if it might be enough for an O/A torch though. I know when I use my torch I wear a fixed shade #5 glasses and its enough. The arc of a TIG torch is brighter than my O/A torch, so perhaps it might work? What shade setting did you have your welding helmet set to for the torch?

Weld setting of 9, delay 2, sensitivity 6.
    Robert

Registered Member

Round 2

I wasn't pleased with the results or the wonky setup from last night so I decided to give it another go. I was able to 3D print an adapter ring for this test so I could fit the ND8 filter on my lens and make it easier..

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

I used the O/A torch this time instead of the TIG and got better results. I would like to see more ambient light surrounding the work piece. I still think a slightly darker ND filter would help achieve this. The puddle is still a little blown out in the middle, but overall I think the results were much better. (I suck welding with O/A so I just heated up a piece of square tube and moved the puddle without actually welding anything or adding any filler). Camera settings were ISO 10000, Aperture 16, ND8 filter.

https://youtu.be/U9t_9UvOwaM
    Last edited by 56Safari; 01-17-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast