Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meco Torch

Member #:2017

Meco Torch

Got a new addition to the shop, this Meco came from TM Technologies, or TinManTech. I got it hooked up last night and ran a couple passes.

Let me start by saying I am not a gas welder. I have a Henrob torch that I have found awkward to use, likely the operator, so I have always used either MIG or TIG. This video shows my second attempt with the Meco, the first attempt I did not have sufficient heat as I was worried about blowing holes. The two “scraps” were picked off the floor and tacked together about every 3/4”, then fusion welded the distance shown, yielding a full penetration weld with nice HAZ conisistency. Very impressed with the light weight and ease of use, even for an old dog learning new tricks. Video shows in order: front, back, planished, and bent at 90* for our destruction test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td4y...ature=youtu.be

Tacks, front side..

Rear side, full penetration...

Full pass with full weld penetration, bent 90* for destruction test.. Line shown is mark left by press brake die....

Rear side held up well

Very impressed with this torch, one handed valve adjustments are a breeze, light weight and easy to use..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What makes a Meco torch different from a Henrob torch or a quality "conventional" torch?

Compact, easy to use, one hand adjustment, etc, etc. Has a nice, soft flame that doesn't push the puddle around. Local jeweler has one of these, same torch for over 42 years.. I have one of the Henrob torches and just never got comfortable to use it other than heating up a part. Other than that it was cumbersome at best. So I've never been "fluent" at gas welding, and yet welding the two passes that I did last night with the new torch was enjoyable, and almost looks like I know what I'm doing. I've never gotten results like this with the Henrob or my Victor. Maybe the bulky hoses on the others have a bit to do with it as well....
    Robert

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    thanks for sharing Robert.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

I was asked to bend the weld sample to a complete 180* to give the weld a "REAL" test. So the following video does such, please excuse the erratic movement of the camera operator, he also had to close the vise and position the sample as well..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzfL...ature=youtu.be

Robert

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    that 's how my weld shop teacher checked our's back in 67

Banned

Member #:2775
    I have the Henrob torch that was also named Dillon, and now sold as a Cobra 2000. I have found it very easy to set up, and use. Just set both regulators to 4 psi, and it's good to go. I bought the full kit with all the different size nozzles, and cutting attachments. It was somewhere around $400 though. This was my first attempt at fusion welding some 16 gauge pieces into a cube.
    IMG_0875.JPGIMG_1041.JPG

Banned

Member #:2775
    I wish I had the balls to gas-weld outside corner joints on finished/fitted pieces, and out of position too. My outside MIG welded joints are not even close to pretty, and always need to be ground down a lot. It's an art I don't have natural talent for, which is they way they use to skillfully do it, even before electricity was an option.
    I hate it when I spend hours fitting a piece perfectly, and then blow it when I finally have the nerve to weld it.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 12-29-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Last night I tried to tackle the wizardry of filming the gas welding with the goal of better visibility of the weld puddle. This is about as close as I can get with using a iPhone camera and a welding helmet lens. Also made use of a Milwaukee LED light to brighten things for less of a change in light.

These are filmed through the Miller Digital Elite, Weld setting 9, delay 2. sensitivity 6. I think I still need to come up with something better, especially for showing any TIG welding. Are there any Photography guru's that can steer me in the right direction for filming weld processes?

Tacking:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3npncFfDM

Weld pass:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL4i0fqr4BE
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You might be able to do slightly better but you did an excellent job. The puddle shows pretty clearly and you can follow the torch motion.

I assume a second person was holding the welding helmet and camera and operating the camera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast