Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The President's Border Security Speech

Member #:2941

The President's Border Security Speech

We watched the President's speech on border security this evening. My wife found a venue where we could watch it uninterrupted and without the annoying media talking heads putting their 'spin' on it......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=AJPj3Xw1DO0

The only thing I take exception to is the President's willingness to construct a barrier made of steel rather than concrete (at Democrat insistence). Having spent many years in heavy construction, I can tell you for a certainty that a steel barrier is easily cut through, pulled down or driven through using heavy equipment and trucks available to drug traffickers and human traffickers. Not to mention the constant need for costly repair and upkeep. And if slatted as the Democrats want, it will be easy to pass contraband and small children through (or over) and to scale it without the use of ladders.

Bottom line...... A steel barrier won't get the job done. What is needed is something similar to the 20 ft. tall precast concrete walls with drilled footings (depth and design determined by geotechnical engineering reports) constructed along many highways to mitigate road noise in abutting subdivisions. Nothing less. Put up a concrete wall built like that and it will be there for a hundred years or more, needing repairs only if damaged in places by heavy explosives, artillery fire or earthquakes.

Your thoughts?

Harry

P.S. >>> I don't do all that twitting and tweeting stuff, but I understand the President does. If any of y'all here do it, please send him a 'tweet' and wise him up on border barrier construction. No steel! Build it out of concrete. Do it right and it will last a hundred years or more.
    Last edited by enigma57; 01-09-2019 at 02:13 AM. Reason: add post script
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:3249
    I agree fully with you, Harry. I want a concrete wall.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Democrats have not suggested the steel barrier. They don't want any barrier. I think Trump or someone has suggested the steel barrier as an alternative but that idea doesn't seem to have traction so far. A steel barrier could be built that worked, it just wouldn't look like the ones you see on TV that are on the California border already.

Personally I didn't see where Trump or Nancy/Chuck made any progress for their respective sides last night.

Look for the shutdown to go on for a while. Also look for some "mini" re-openings of select areas of the gov't.

Member #:530
    My state was overrun starting 30 years ago. We're now at the next generation of immigrants here, and they vote Demo. Plain and simple.
    Build a concrete wall, if nothing more than to put out the message that USA means what it says in our immigration laws.
    Right now, we have laws that go unenforced...so why wouldn't everyone come north for the money and lifestyle?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/57%20Chevy%20Nomad%20wagon[/URL]

1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/59%20Apached%20Fleetside%20Big%20Window%20Shortbed[/URL]

Member #:115
    I have mixed feelings about any kind of wall. ANY barrier has the potential to be crossed, if someone is desperate enough to do it. The problem is Obama basically put out the "welcome mat" and showed illegal immigrants that they will be taken care of. We need to reverse that by sending the message that we won't tolerate illegal border crossings. We need to change our laws so babies born to illegals are NOT automatic citizens of the USA. We need to make crossing the border a felony, not a misdemeanor as it currently is. We need to punish those who do cross illegally. We shouldn't automatically take care of illegals and give them healthcare, housing, and food.

You're not going to stop drug trafficking with a wall or any kind of structure. These guys build extensive tunnels, and now with cheap drones it's easy to transport things across the border. We need sophisticated surveillance technology, more border guards that are trained and un-hampered by bureaucracy and idiotic laws, and to send a clear message to the foreign governments that their citizens coming illegally are not welcome here. We have LEGAL ways of entering the country and applying for asylum or getting a work visa. They should be using them.

One issue I have with the wall is that it prevents migration of wildlife to and from Mexico. The border area has lots of wild sheep and antelope and other wildlife that have been able to freely wander back and forth across the border. To some it might not be a big deal, but I can see potential long-term consequences of it.

The best thing that could happen is to have an open season on liberals. They're as big of a problem as illegals, if not far worse. Kalifornia is turning into a shithole in some areas and I guess you reap what you sow.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:3217
    You made some good points in your post CN... (I almost agree with you re the liberals!)..

Rick: I think the 'steel wall' issue came from previous Schumer statements made during prior administrations that he wanted a border fence... (The fact that Trump made the border wall an election issue has now turned ALL democrats against any wall, or anything else that might tend to support a Trump agenda!).. Demos only care about *preservation/expansion of THEIR PERSONAL power*...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-10-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Member #:225
    I also watched the POTUS speech, and purposely didn't watch any other network "news" shows. I thought his points were right on! I'm simply sickened at the behavior of our elected representatives. The hypocrisy and lies of the left (and a few RINO's) send such a poor message to our youth, and the entire world. My gosh, we are the laughing stock of the planet. Pitiful.

As for the wall... I'm not qualified to say what material should be used. Perhaps it depends on the terrain or other topographical concerns. I'm also for technology, and the doubling of the amount of ICE agents.

At the end of the day, I'm a flag-waving patriot. I love my county... and frankly I'm afraid for our future.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Certainly the president is right, I agree with him 100%. My earlier point was that neither he or his adversaries said much last night to change anyone's mind on this issue.

Trump mentioned a steel wall at one point last night. As far as the rest of the wall construction debate, I've seen the media twist that saying Trump changed his mind when he hasn't or by using other terms like fence or barrier instead of wall, etc. Dems have too. Just playing word games and injecting fake facts. As far as wildlife access, previous walls/fences had provisions for that, but I think it could be over done. There's an awful lot of desolate territory with plenty of room for wildlife on both sides of that 2000 mile border, they don't HAVE to cross it for survival. At least until we have another 80 years of global warming! LOL

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    I watched President Trump's address, and I thought it was fine. I only wish he had shown, as part of his plea for border security and a wall, some video of Schumer, Obama and other prominent Democrats saying basically the same thing Trump has been saying about needing a wall. That would have really put those Dems in a tight spot, and it would have been seen on MSNBC and CNN, where you KNOW those video bits, as part of their company policy to support and protect Dems, aren't ever shown. Also, I wish he would have shown with a pie chart how small the 5.6 billion ask is in comparison to the annual budget.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Registered Member

Member #:3249
    Dems don't want any restrictions, they need the guest voters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast