Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molex connectors

Member #:115

Molex connectors

Anything wrong with this type of connector for automotive use? I see them used all the time in computers, appliances, etc. but not in cars and I was wondering why not. This would be for interior use only, as I'm using weatherpak connectors outside the car. These are just a lot more compact. Current rating is supposed to be 20A per contact (14 gauge wire) and contacts can take 14-20 gauge wires. Housings are nylon.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:532
    We use them on industrial equipment all the time. As you mentioned the environment they're used in is key. Dry areas only.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Those look a lot like what Mallory uses on a Unilite harness. I have a tach drive unit I have ran since the late 70s.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've used them on the ignition system in a race car, no problems at all. Used to be able to get them locally at Radio Shack, long before the internet.

Weatherpack has been largely superceded by Metripack and others, but the concept is similar, in that most have a ribbed silicone seal on both terminals and connector bodies.

The contact terminals on these look almost exactly like the weatherpak terminals. I was just wondering why automotive doesn't use them. They've been around for a long time.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Connectors can be great depending on their use, but connectors can add resistance issues to a circuit. I prefer a good simple soldered, crimped splice, or terminal, which is more reliable, and easier. With a connector, there is always that one pin out of the bunch, that can screw up.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Connectors can be great depending on their use, but connectors can add resistance issues to a circuit. I prefer a good simple soldered, crimped splice, or terminal, which is more reliable, and easier. With a connector, there is always that one pin out of the bunch, that can screw up.
    Maybe he wants to be able to unplug it. I'd hate to work on a car with no connectors and all connections soldered. Removing the instrument panel would be a little difficult.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    I’ve used them for years in cars I’ve built. They work well and are reliable, just need to keep them dry. One thing to note is they are not keyed uniquely (eg. all 4 pin connectors keyed the same,etc), so I use a marker to label use of the connector so they don’t get plugged into the wrong mate.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    We've used these for years where the connection's were dry. CN the reason the auto industry don't use them is the supplier hasn't kick-back enough to the right people

Yeah I want to use these in a couple of places like my door wiring connectors and in my console where might I need to unplug stuff. Connectors also make a good place to access wires for troubleshooting. They would reside in the kick panel area, not inside the door, where I'll use weatherpaks. I have multiple wires coming out of my doors and I could use weatherpaks, however, the 12 pin Molex connectors I'd need are a lot smaller and less expensive. I also found some 12 position Packard-style blade connectors but they're bigger than the Molex connectors. If anyone is looking for the Molex parts I found them cheap at Mouser Electronics. Or you can buy them as individual kits on eBay. Thanks for the input.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast