Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Molex connectors

Banned

Member #:2775
    So many CNC machines, and equipment where I retired from used tons of mil-spec Amphenol connectors which work good for multi-conductor cables. They have an endless choice of different configurations, with as many pins you want. They look like this style.

https://www.amazon.com/Amphenol-Indu...A21C4U5X700J66

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    So many CNC machines, and equipment where I retired from used tons of mil-spec Amphenol connectors which work good for multi-conductor cables. They have an endless choice of different configurations, with as many pins you want.
    Who wants a big screw together metal connector in their car for every connection? I'm not building an airplane or space capsule.

Price: $61.52 + $4.95 shipping

Nuff said.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    AMASS has a variety of connectors used for drones and other electronics that need low resistance, continuous high amperage connections and are subject to vibrations. Might be worth a look to see if they have what you need, they're not expensive at all. Only downside I could see is that you don't crimp the pin you have to solder it, but they're very easy to solder. I paid $6 for a 5 pack of XT60 connectors, 60amp 500V rating. (If you go this route avoid knockoffs, they're not near as good and they're everywhere)

https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/Ch...ead_C99107.pdf

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    AMASS has a variety of connectors used for drones and other electronics that need low resistance, continuous high amperage connections and are subject to vibrations.
    I don't know but I think maybe gold-plated connectors are a little over-kill for what I'm doing. Plus I'm not seeing anything over 3 contacts per connector. They do look like a good quality connector, and not expensive. When I was an engineering manager for HP one of my responsibilities was reliability qualification of interconnects (ASIC, Memories, CPUs, and connectors) for our computers. There are literally tens of thousands of connections inside a high end server and they all need to work.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Who wants a big screw together metal connector in their car for every connection? I'm not building an airplane or space capsule.

Price: $61.52 + $4.95 shipping

Nuff said.
    No, your car will never fly, it was just another option for some connections, that are commonly used on many things that don't fly. And they look cool. They can be good for something in a cable anyway, since the wires don't have to be fanned out into a bigger connector.
    They take up less space, like I tried to do in school studying to be an astronaut.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-26-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:1625
    I use Molex connectors in aircraft interiors. They work great and provide positive connection. Great for interior use, i plan on using them on my 55.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    No, your car will never fly, it was just another option for some connections, that are commonly used on many things that don't fly. And they look cool. They can be good for something in a cable anyway, since the wires don't have to be fanned out into a bigger connector.
    They take up less space, like I tried to do in school studying to be an astronaut.
    I always build my cars so that they will fly

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    LOL!
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    They would appear to be just as good as the original spade type connectors that GM used for years. GM used the spade type everywhere inside and under the chassis. The brass terminals lasted for years under crummy conditions. The fact was they were easy to clip off and replace terminals. But the copper wires often corroded and required replacement as well. Today’s insulated wires seem far better to complement the weather tight terminals available. But they are more costly than Molex or the spade connections.

I’ve pulled apart some original 50’s & 60’s warped harness to find bad wiring as well as corroded terminals. Today heavier gauge wire complements better terminals for better safer longer lasting connections.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12