X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chevynut
    Registered Member
    • Nov 2011

Molex connectors

Anything wrong with this type of connector for automotive use? I see them used all the time in computers, appliances, etc. but not in cars and I was wondering why not. This would be for interior use only, as I'm using weatherpak connectors outside the car. These are just a lot more compact. Current rating is supposed to be 20A per contact (14 gauge wire) and contacts can take 14-20 gauge wires. Housings are nylon.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
  • Bluegrass Trifive
    Registered Member
    • Mar 2012

We use them on industrial equipment all the time. As you mentioned the environment they're used in is key. Dry areas only.

Comment

• markm
      Registered Member
      • May 2012

Those look a lot like what Mallory uses on a Unilite harness. I have a tach drive unit I have ran since the late 70s.

Comment

• Rick_L
        Registered Member
        • Apr 2012

I've used them on the ignition system in a race car, no problems at all. Used to be able to get them locally at Radio Shack, long before the internet.

Weatherpack has been largely superceded by Metripack and others, but the concept is similar, in that most have a ribbed silicone seal on both terminals and connector bodies.

Comment

• chevynut
          Registered Member
          • Nov 2011

The contact terminals on these look almost exactly like the weatherpak terminals. I was just wondering why automotive doesn't use them. They've been around for a long time.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
          1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
          2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
            Registered Member
            • Nov 2015

Connectors can be great depending on their use, but connectors can add resistance issues to a circuit. I prefer a good simple soldered, crimped splice, or terminal, which is more reliable, and easier. With a connector, there is always that one pin out of the bunch, that can screw up.
            Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-25-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• 55 Tony
              Registered Member
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by 55 Rescue Dog
              Connectors can be great depending on their use, but connectors can add resistance issues to a circuit. I prefer a good simple soldered, crimped splice, or terminal, which is more reliable, and easier. With a connector, there is always that one pin out of the bunch, that can screw up.
              Maybe he wants to be able to unplug it. I'd hate to work on a car with no connectors and all connections soldered. Removing the instrument panel would be a little difficult.
              Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Comment

• TrifiveRichard
                Registered Member
                • Feb 2018

I’ve used them for years in cars I’ve built. They work well and are reliable, just need to keep them dry. One thing to note is they are not keyed uniquely (eg. all 4 pin connectors keyed the same,etc), so I use a marker to label use of the connector so they don’t get plugged into the wrong mate.

Comment

• bigblock
                  Registered Member
                  • Mar 2017

We've used these for years where the connection's were dry. CN the reason the auto industry don't use them is the supplier hasn't kick-back enough to the right people

Comment

• chevynut
                    Registered Member
                    • Nov 2011

Yeah I want to use these in a couple of places like my door wiring connectors and in my console where might I need to unplug stuff. Connectors also make a good place to access wires for troubleshooting. They would reside in the kick panel area, not inside the door, where I'll use weatherpaks. I have multiple wires coming out of my doors and I could use weatherpaks, however, the 12 pin Molex connectors I'd need are a lot smaller and less expensive. I also found some 12 position Packard-style blade connectors but they're bigger than the Molex connectors. If anyone is looking for the Molex parts I found them cheap at Mouser Electronics. Or you can buy them as individual kits on eBay. Thanks for the input.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
                      Registered Member
                      • Nov 2015

So many CNC machines, and equipment where I retired from used tons of mil-spec Amphenol connectors which work good for multi-conductor cables. They have an endless choice of different configurations, with as many pins you want. They look like this style.

Comment

• chevynut
                        Registered Member
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 55 Rescue Dog
                        So many CNC machines, and equipment where I retired from used tons of mil-spec Amphenol connectors which work good for multi-conductor cables. They have an endless choice of different configurations, with as many pins you want.
                        Who wants a big screw together metal connector in their car for every connection? I'm not building an airplane or space capsule.

Price: $61.52 + $4.95 shipping

Nuff said.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                        1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                        2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• 56Safari
                          Registered Member
                          • Jun 2016

AMASS has a variety of connectors used for drones and other electronics that need low resistance, continuous high amperage connections and are subject to vibrations. Might be worth a look to see if they have what you need, they're not expensive at all. Only downside I could see is that you don't crimp the pin you have to solder it, but they're very easy to solder. I paid $6 for a 5 pack of XT60 connectors, 60amp 500V rating. (If you go this route avoid knockoffs, they're not near as good and they're everywhere)

Comment

• chevynut
                            Registered Member
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 56Safari
                            AMASS has a variety of connectors used for drones and other electronics that need low resistance, continuous high amperage connections and are subject to vibrations.
                            I don't know but I think maybe gold-plated connectors are a little over-kill for what I'm doing. Plus I'm not seeing anything over 3 contacts per connector. They do look like a good quality connector, and not expensive. When I was an engineering manager for HP one of my responsibilities was reliability qualification of interconnects (ASIC, Memories, CPUs, and connectors) for our computers. There are literally tens of thousands of connections inside a high end server and they all need to work.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                            1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                            2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
                              Registered Member
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by chevynut
                              Who wants a big screw together metal connector in their car for every connection? I'm not building an airplane or space capsule.

Price: $61.52 + $4.95 shipping

Nuff said.
                              No, your car will never fly, it was just another option for some connections, that are commonly used on many things that don't fly. And they look cool. They can be good for something in a cable anyway, since the wires don't have to be fanned out into a bigger connector.
                              They take up less space, like I tried to do in school studying to be an astronaut.
                              Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-26-2019, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...