Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 55 Chevy

Registered Member

Member #:625
    If purchased out of state and subject to verification in new state it may get complicated.

Member #:4073
    Not sure what the tag is suppose to be, it’s partially painted over also. I’ve seen pics tags online with pop rivets. Had zero problems with registering etc...
    406/700R4/John’s 9”/Ididit Tilt column/ 4 wheel disk......
    short video-https://youtu.be/JrPshQQ3Nls

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If purchased out of state and subject to verification in new state it may get complicated.
    Yes I had to have verification done prior to registering and had no issues.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotrifive View Post
    Not sure what the tag is suppose to be, it’s partially painted over also. I’ve seen pics tags online with pop rivets. Had zero problems with registering etc...
    Did they inspect the car? or only the paperwork?

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotrifive View Post
    Pop rivets holding a VIN tag always brings up questions since that means the tag has been OFF the car (for some reason). To verify that the attached tag is for that car means you have to inspect the partial VIN stamped on the frame!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The factory did not rivet VIN plates on these cars they were spot welded. An alert state inspector know this and will not accept riveted plates. State assigned plates have special rivets and may be attached in other locations. Bama is correct about the partial vin on drivers side frame rail because when questions arrive that is where they go.
    Last edited by markm; 01-29-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Looking at the photo that shows the VIN plate, I'm now not convinced that it isn't the original, but with rivets. Just partially painted, crummy masking job. The shot is by no means a closeup, and I didn't try to zoom in.

As far as inspection, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that many "inspectors" don't know what they are looking at.

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Looking at the photo that shows the VIN plate, I'm now not convinced that it isn't the original, but with rivets. Just partially painted, crummy masking job. The shot is by no means a closeup, and I didn't try to zoom in.

As far as inspection, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that many "inspectors" don't know what they are looking at.
    I’m pretty sure it’s a stock VIN plate that they didn’t mask for painting very well. I suppose it’s remotely possible it was a exported car that got brought back here as they did have riveted VIN plates. I’ve had two out of state vehicles inspected in the last five years and I read the VIN number to the deputy both times. I can assure you they wouldn’t have had a clue if it should be riveted or not. I also know of a VERY nice Nomad that’s passed through Barrett Jackson twice bringing north of $200K with a riveted VIN. I think as long as it doesn’t show up in the database as stolen there won’t be too many questions asked. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Banned

Member #:2775
    On a 64 year old car, forget about it. There are very few parts of many cars that old that are not original.

The plate was actually painted over and someone scraped it off to see Vin better. The car was listed at a reputable dealership for sale and I have the title from previous owner. She’s registered now so if I get a chance I will try to get numbers off the frame but that won’t be easy. Either way I’m happy with the car, she’s nowhere near original. She’s missing Bel Air trim also but I wasn’t looking for an all original car. Anyways thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast