Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 55 Chevy

Member #:115
    Not many of these cars have the original frame anymore, so checking the VIN on the frame is not that accurate. It's easy to buy a junk car with a title and a good frame and move the VIN tag and frame over to a different body. It's probably not legal, but easy to do. I really don't know how picky they are nowadays about how the VIN tag is attached on a 60 year old car. A lot of these cars have dropped their VIN tags due to corrosion over the years. If it was me I'd epoxy it back on.
    Last edited by chevynut; 01-29-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    Slotrifive, you have a bad ass 55 there!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotrifive View Post
    The plate was actually painted over and someone scraped it off to see Vin better. The car was listed at a reputable dealership for sale and I have the title from previous owner. She’s registered now so if I get a chance I will try to get numbers off the frame but that won’t be easy. Either way I’m happy with the car, she’s nowhere near original. She’s missing Bel Air trim also but I wasn’t looking for an all original car. Anyways thanks for bringing it to my attention!
    Not the point, originality in a VIN plate is important when you get a knowledgeable state inspector. There is a legal process you must go through when you replace a frame its called assembled vehicle title. Now I know most guys ignore it and do it anyway. But think about the consequences if the car you got the frame from had been reported stolen. The state police here used to have a SS 454 shop truck that had been wrecked, rebuilt with some hot parts, then confiscated. My buddy that work there told me when they were done with it would be crushed.

Member #:4073
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not the point, originality in a VIN plate is important when you get a knowledgeable state inspector. There is a legal process you must go through when you replace a frame its called assembled vehicle title. Now I know most guys ignore it and do it anyway. But think about the consequences if the car you got the frame from had been reported stolen. The state police here used to have a SS 454 shop truck that had been wrecked, rebuilt with some hot parts, then confiscated. My buddy that work there told me when they were done with it would be crushed.
    i never mentioned anything about the frame being replaced or the Vin tag. I’m new to the site and simply wanted to share some pics. This thread went off topic by questioning the Vin tag, I didn’t ask for it. The car has been inspected and it’s registered.
    406/700R4/John’s 9”/Ididit Tilt column/ 4 wheel disk......
    short video-https://youtu.be/JrPshQQ3Nls

Registered Member

Member #:571
    She’s missing Bel Air trim also but I wasn’t looking for an all original car.
    I don't see anything on the exterior of the car indicating that the car is a Bel Air. It's 210 all the way - including the trim around the side windows, the long spears on the quarter panel, no spears on the front fenders, and the Chevrolet script on the front fenders. Does the VIN begin with "VB" or "B"? That's correct for a 210. "VC" or "C" would be correct for a Bel Air. The cowl tag would also have a body style number that's different between 210 and Belair. 210 would be 1011 or 1011D, Bel Air would be 1011A.

Member #:516
    i never mentioned anything about the frame being replaced or the Vin tag. I’m new to the site and simply wanted to share some pics. This thread went off topic by questioning the Vin tag, I didn’t ask for it. The car has been inspected and it’s registered.
    Get used to it, something as simple as you introducing yourself and showing your car pics can be turned into people arguing!! Just ignore it!!! By the way I love your car, I love the paint scheme dark over light looks cool!!!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not the point, originality in a VIN plate is important when you get a knowledgeable state inspector. There is a legal process you must go through when you replace a frame its called assembled vehicle title.
    I'm betting all these guys with Morrison frames and Roadster shop frames and home-built replacement frames don't go through that "legal process". No such process exists where I live.

Slotrifive, this happens here regularly. Seems like some people just look for stuff to criticize and argue about. Nice 55, and I hope you have fun with it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    You are absolutely right. You have a nice car and we are very glad you are here.

You will find a lot of knowledge, help, craftsmanship and strong personalities .

Welcome to the fray and I hope you stick around. Oh and make sure you ask Chevynut about whether he likes a Holley or Edelbrock carb better.

So jump in Slot, the water is nice and the sharks just nibble.

Scorp

Member #:3217
    Most of the comments here, and the ones here on this thread, are in the vein of 'education' rather than criticism.. Many new trifive owners (especially first time trifive owners at this point 60 yrs after the cars are produced) are not expert in the details/idiosyncracies of the trifive Chevy or of the hobby. I know that when I make observations, it's in the interest of educating the owner (and sometimes ourselves, via the discussion)... If we make suggestions, it's in the interest of helping the owner ... not criticism! In this case, I'm taking it that he has stated that he is NOT INTERESTED in these details... so that's fine too!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Not many of these cars have the original frame anymore, so checking the VIN on the frame is not that accurate. It's easy to buy a junk car with a title and a good frame and move the VIN tag and frame over to a different body. It's probably not legal, but easy to do.
    I don't think it's true that "not many" have the original frame. Most do. Buying a junk car with a title and good frame and moving the VIN tag is not what most do either. If replacing the frame, you just do it. And that doesn't seem to be illegal, nor is an aftermarket frame. What's illegal is moving the VIN tag from one body to another. What's questionable is a total re-body deal like Real Deal Steel or Woody's do, keeping only the cowl where everything else is replaced. Thing is, the laws regarding this are aimed at totally different activities, like "chop shops" do with stolen stuff.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast