Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My 55 Chevy

Member #:3217
    I have more than a dozen 'collector cars, including 6 TriFives. I purchased all of them on their original frames and with original VIN plates. The 1957 I'm currently working on now sits on an aftermarket chassis/frame. In doing that, when I removed the factory frame, I photographed the original frame, with closeups of the VIN on the frame. I have the receipt where I purchased the aftermarket chassis. I believe with this information, my 'legal ownership' of the car could/would NEVER be questioned.

PS. I SOLD the original frame/chassis from the '57 Nomad, but when I did I 'XXXX'ed out the factory VIN on that frame to prohibit anyone in the future from attempting to register another car with the VIN from my car.

Member #:4073
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    The cowl tag would also have a body style number that's different between 210 and Belair. 210 would be 1011 or 1011D, Bel Air would be 1011A.
    Ok guys so help me out here. Based on what Rick_L posted style 1011 and 1011D would be a 210 and 1011A is a Bel Air but looking it this page it’s showing the opposite for 1011D and 1011A. So what is the correct answer??
    http://www.trifive.com/specs/19.%20Original%20Specs.pdf
    406/700R4/John’s 9”/Ididit Tilt column/ 4 wheel disk......
    short video-https://youtu.be/JrPshQQ3Nls

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Bamai is correct about the intent to educate I think if you all would check your state laws most of you would find ones similar to what I describe. I learned what I know from a friend who has turned wrenches on state police cars and my personal experience. Yes some states don't care that is why others are more picky about out of state stuff.

I *think* the 1011 just implies the body is a 2-dr Sedan, and the A, B, C suffix carries the trim/paint information. What information does your cowl tag information carry on it? What is the first two digits of your VIN? ALL of the information is there...

Your car doesn't have BelAir trim, but after 60+ years, *most* 2-dr sedans have experienced many changes, many/most of those changes have more to do with the owner's desires (or what parts he has?) rather than the way Chevrolet built the car! Most people today would not remove BelAir trim, but in the 60's that was done at times. More frequently today, people add various pieces of BelAir trim to their 150 or 210 model..

Member #:4073
    I’m not sure what mine is i have to look however like i said based on that link 1011D would be a Bel Air while 1011A is a 210. I’m just trying to figure out how to understand these tags not necessarily for my own car but just in general.
    406/700R4/John’s 9”/Ididit Tilt column/ 4 wheel disk......
    short video-https://youtu.be/JrPshQQ3Nls

One confusing GM fact about 'body styles' is that there are MULTIPLE code designations, depending on what you are looking for, and where you look.
    *almost every aftermarket supplier, and even some enthusiasts have their own 'code sheets' which try to clarify this stuff; the link here is from Paddock which isn't bad... but none are totally complete.

//paddockparts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1955-57_Chevy_CowlTag.pdf

I generally refer to a book written by Pat Chappel titled 'The HOT one'...

As I STATED already in a prior post, '1011' designated 2-dr Sedan (2100 or 2400 series). (We don't have a lot of written/factual information re FISHER's designations!) Some GM documentation refers to the trim levels as '1500 series', 2100 series, or 2400 series also!

Fisher/GM trimmed out each body style in more than ONE trim level (except the Nomad and convertible which were ONLY trimmed out in the BelAir trim level - there might be other exceptions to this rule, but Nomads and Convertibles I know only came in BA trim). Most of the body styles were available in: 150 - lowest trim level, 210 - medium trim level, and BelAir - highest trim level.

In addition to this, these models could be painted in single tone, or two tone schemes, AND there were OPTIONAL paint treatments within the two tone paint schemes! (This is where the A, B, C... suffix codes are used). The EASIEST way to understand all this is to figure out how your own car came (using the available GM codes stamped on the VIN plate and Cowl tag), and other information available from the original car! Once you understand how your own car was built, and the codes involved, one can look at other cars to figure the rest of it out. (I've been doing this for 50 yrs and it's still confusing at times! .. esp with the A, B, C suffix codes along with the fact that different Fisher plants didn't all follow the same codes!)

Example for the TWO different body style/model codes I've referred to above using the NOMAD which I'm most familiar with: If you refer to the documents available, either GM or one like you referenced.. The Nomad is referred to as: 2429 - 2 dr BelAir Nomad wagon. But on the Fisher cowl tag, a Nomad is referred to as STYLE 1064DF. A Nomad can be either single tone, or two tone painted, and in addition to that in some cases the paint colors on two tone cars can be 'flipped', so that the upper / lower colors are swapped!

One can either spend a LOT of time figuring out all these codes/names/etc (which is what a lot of us 'original types' like to do!), OR... you can just drive/enjoy your car without worrying about it!

If you want to know about your car, provide us the first two digits from your VIN number, and the unique information from the cowl tag and we can help you.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-31-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Slotrifive, you're right on the body codes, I screwed up. 1011 is 210 2 door sedan, 1011A is Del Ray/210 2 door sedan, and 1011D is Bel Air 2 door sedan. In my little head, I wanted to put the "D" with the Del Ray.

The only references I've seen for the 'A, D, F, etc' suffixes are on the Paint and Trim charts, but without explanation or definition as to what each means. I think any observations that can be made must be made by looking at all the codes and 'trying to figure it out'?? OR am I wrong and there IS a GM document which clarifies what each of these suffix codes mean??

Registered Member

Member #:625
    VIN tag on A pillar says it all for V8 cars VAXXXXXX is a150, VB xxxxx is a 210 and VCxxxxx is a Belair, for 6 banger models just remove the V.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    OR am I wrong and there IS a GM document which clarifies what each of these suffix codes mean??
    I have a book, "Chevrolet 55-56 Restoration Guide" which is reprints of all sorts of GM literature. 480 pages of it. That's where I confirmed the 1011/1011A/1011D codes which are as slotrifive said, not what I originally said. There are no 1011B or 1011C codes. All these 1011n codes are for 2 door sedans, other body styles have different numbers. And I've seen these in other sources.

I think the suffix codes you refer to are after the trim and paint code numbers, not the body style numbers. Also I think that not all body plants used suffixes on trim and paint.

And there are the A, B, C codes in the VIN as markm posted. VIN codes don't show body style, you have to get that from the cowl tag.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast