Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks

Thread: '55 3D Model

Member #:516

'55 3D Model

Hey All,

I'm working on a 3D model of my garage layout and I'd like to put a 3D model of a '55 for spacial relation. Does any one have or know where I can find one? Thanks.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Never heard of one, but this is something that could exist.

Saw a deal on "Bitchin Rides" recently where they used laser imaging with a Faro Arm to digitize an engine compartment. I've seen similar equipment to digitize other car bodies. Thing is, those who've spent the money for this type of thing may not release it for the public domain.

Member #:115
    Last edited by chevynut; 01-30-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Thanks chevynut, yeah one's too expensive and the other requires software I don't have access to. I think I'll just create a basic envelope model.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Neither one looks all that exact for the little details.

Member #:3217
    It would be very neat to have actual 3D models you could incorporate into 'building models' (for planning), but most of us don't have that software and don't want to pay for it. When I've designed new garage spaces, I just used rectangles with the width/length dimensions of the cars I had ( .. in my 2D plans)..

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Never heard of one, but this is something that could exist.

Saw a deal on "Bitchin Rides" recently where they used laser imaging with a Faro Arm to digitize an engine compartment. I've seen similar equipment to digitize other car bodies. Thing is, those who've spent the money for this type of thing may not release it for the public domain.
    I purchased a Faro Measurement System (optical) once for a project,

https://www.faro.com/about-faro/

and another similar measurement system (laser interometer) for another high precision measurement project at another time. Both worked fine. but those kinds of systems cost over $100K (and sometimes much more). I also worked with Carl Zeiss (West Germany) for many years, and IMO they had (and probably still have) perhaps the world's best Optical and mechanical engineering and production capabilities. They has a system that used a 'feeler arm' that would accommodate an entire auto body and measure/map the surface to within 0.001"; When I saw it there was a Mercedes body undergoing that measurement.

Those kinds of things are well beyond the needs/resources of most auto hobbyists (except for perhaps Jay Leno!)..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-31-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Member #:115
    At SEMA a few years ago there was a European company demonstrating a handheld laser scanner that was connected to a computer. All you had to do is point at an object and move the scanner around like you were spraying paint with it, and it would build a 3D model of the object for you on the computer. It made a FARO arm look crude.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

We have a bunch of Faro arms, laser scanners, we have a CMM machine that would fit a whole Tri-Five. If I worked at a private company I'd try to scan mine, but at a National Lab it's a no no!!