Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Service Question

Member #:615

Internet Service Question

I haven't been posting much lately. My internet service is so bad most of the time that downloads take several tries to open a page and upload speeds are nearly nonexistent. I live in a rural location and the few local internet providers that serve the area are "line of site" service. That means you have to see their tower from my roof. I live in a area with lots of trees and hills so there is only one provider I can use and that tower is 8 miles away.

I looked into Hughsnet satellite internet but it has data limits. I recently saw a commercial for Viasat Satellite Internet (formerly Exede Internet), with no data limit on some plans. I don't know anything about Viasat. I was wondering if anyone on here knows if Viasat is a good service or one to stay away from?

Member #:33
    don't have Viasat, so no comment. I do have Verizon jetpack, might want to take a look at.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3217
    AT&T provides internet and cable over phone lines in some places...?

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I've been using an ATT mobile hotspot for a few years now which I leave at this computer. It does have data limits. Coming soon my electric company is running fiber optic cables to all customers! Supposed to be fast and no data limits. I can't wait. There is some other company working 7 days a week running the cables and some are up and running already.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    If you have a landline I think your options are DSL over your phone line, cable, or satellite. Do you have satellite or cable TV service? Dishnetwork is my TV provider and they offer satellite internet too. I don't know if DirecTV does or not. If you have cable TV there should be some providers.

I have been using a "line of site" tower-based provider for 20 years or so and have had generally good luck with them except my neighbor's tree has grown to the point that it's interfering with my line of sight. I was paying $68 for 5Mbps service (sometimes dropping to 1-2) which usually met my needs, but I keep getting offers at higher speed and lower cost so I called them this week to complain and/or cancel. They gave me 25Mbps download for $39.95 (including equipment rental) plus taxes. I notice the improved speed for some things I do.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Many rural areas in TX don't have DSL or cable.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Many rural areas in TX don't have DSL or cable.
    Doesn't most every place have landlines? If so I believe they should be able to get DSL. I'd check with the phone carrier.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Again that's often not an option in rural TX. And you don't have to be all that rural either. A friend lives in rural Ft. Bend county (6-8 miles from Rosenberg) which is in the 9 county extended Houston metro area. There, no DSL, no cable, only the line of sight towers and satellite. They do have landline, it's a local company not one of the biggies like AT&T. He had to put his own tower to have good line of sight reception for internet.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Trying to even get a phone call over an AT&T land line is a joke, I recently gave mine up because it never worked. Now even my security system is wireless. Their lines and equipment are old and they are not being properly maintained.

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    It might be worth it to see if the ISP can refocus the end point for you, sometimes they shift out of alignment over time.. We use them all the time at events in remote locations to shoot internet wherever we need it and usually don't have any trouble. If we can't get a good line of sight then we put up a utility pole and put one at the top (not the cheapest solution) but it does work quite well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast