Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One piece 1957 chevrolet frames are not california frames

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:3799

One piece 1957 chevrolet frames are not california frames

The one piece frames that Chevrolet made in 1957 for the passenger cars are not California frames. They are just supplied from a different Chevrolet plant. Many1957 Chevrolet cars built in the Oakland CA plant do not have one piece frames. Same goes for the Los Angeles plant. One piece bumper's are a California thing, in case of a crash, they needed to separate the cars fast and the one piece bumper's allows the car's not to get tangled together in the event of a crash. Domenic

Member #:115
    In the same way that certain substances are known only to the State of California to cause cancer.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    In the same way that certain substances are known only to the State of California to cause cancer.
    I agree 100%, FYI my KCMO built 56 has a one piece frame and my 55 from the land of nuts, fruits and flakes has a two piece.

Member #:3217
    That's difficult for me to imagine as well, Mark... but then I can't imagine what's in the minds of California's legislators/voters on MOST of the laws/regs they pass...???

Member #:530
    One piece bumper's are a California thing, in case of a crash, they needed to separate the cars fast and the one piece bumper's allows the car's not to get tangled together in the event of a crash.
    That's a new one to me. Never heard that before. That explains why every 57 in the state of CA has ONLY 1 piece bumpers? (which they don't...)
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    After hearing all the different stories for 40+ years about 'california frames', west coast bumpers, etc.. I believe that both frame and bumper difference are simply due to 'two different suppliers'...

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    anything is possible. where did info come from Domenic? thanks for sharing.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:3799
    John Chamber's told me about the one piece frames, I personally have seen California car's without one piece frames, between going to Hershey for over 40 year's, and being a car nut about these type of thing's. And I can't remember where i heard about the one piece bumper's being mandatory in California ,so they could separate the cars quickly in the event of a crash. It may have been John Chamber's or possibly a good friend of both John Chamber's and me John Skinner. Mr. Skinner was a AACA judge for 25 year's and was very Knowledgeable with the TRI-FIVE Chevrolet's. Mr. Skinner died this past December 2018 . When we lose the old timer's, we lose the knowledge. The reason seam's to make sense, where you have a lot of traffic and time is of the essence .
    Last edited by nomad; 02-05-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: more information

Member #:516
    My '55 was born in Oakland Ca. and it doesn't have a one piece frame, but does have one piece bumpers.

Member #:530
    The reason seam's to make sense, where you have a lot of traffic and time is of the essence .
    'Splain please Lucy...

Alot of traffic? In 1957? California has 10x the traffic today. We don't untangle them. They just bounce off each other. Bwa ha ha.

If your logic holds, then why was there was a 2 piece bumper on the 70 Camaro then?

I think that by 1957, GM found a metal stamping process that would yield a 1 piece full front bumper, rather than a 3 piece bumper. Faster and Cheaper. With the popularity of that model year... maybe they couldn't keep up with the 3 piece bumper volume, and found multiple suppliers?
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 02-05-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast