Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 State of the Union speach

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I'm glad he points out all of the things that his administration has accomplished. It's the way he says it sometimes that rubs me wrong. When he said "I did what nobody else could do" or something like that it's a bit much. He said it that way 3-4 times and I cringed each time....I think it turns people off. I always thought Obama was arrogant.
    I agree with Chevynut here... I also cringe when I hear him say 'I did this.. ' and 'I did that'. A more *rational* way to say the same thing which would not alienate people would be state that 'THIS administration has done this.. and that'... I'm afraid he actually means it the way he says it though, because he is not the kind of person to USE the people who report thru the executive branch, and I believe if he DID use them (ie. his cabinet and senior advisors in each of the depts), he would create a more communicative mood and get more accomplished! Who wants to help someone who is already saying 'I' did this and that...?

At least he has cut back on his use of 'very very very ...' ..

Member #:530
    He's not a polished "orator". His speeches are written for him, just like all the previous presidents. And of course, you can assume he has final say over what he's reading.
    Is he a bit of a self-promoter? Yes.
    Is he concerned about the longevity of this country and where it's been headed? Oh heck yes.
    Is he a tough negotiator? I'd say yes, his history in business transactions shows that...and he's using those same tactics on behalf of our country.

You don't have to personally like this guy. Nobody's "feelings" really matter here. What matters is to have a leader in that position who can accomplish some goals that help our country to remain the strongest in the world. Behind the scenes, away from the liberal press, he's doing exactly that.
    I pray for him to have the strength to continue to fight this fight on our behalf.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/57%20Chevy%20Nomad%20wagon[/URL]

1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/59%20Apached%20Fleetside%20Big%20Window%20Shortbed[/URL]

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Well said^

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    I'm glad he points out all of the things that his administration has accomplished. It's the way he says it sometimes that rubs me wrong. When he said "I did what nobody else could do" or something like that it's a bit much. He said it that way 3-4 times and I cringed each time....I think it turns people off. I always thought Obama was arrogant.
    That's just Trump being Trump. He's quite the self-protomoter as Rick said. That's how he made himself bigger than life, and how he made Trump a household name. He's always swung for the fences in every aspect of his business, and in his personal life. His buildings, golf courses and resorts had to be the best and most extravagant. Everything he owns had to be better, or fancier than anything anyone else owns. Case in point: have you ever seen his apartment atop Trump Tower? I challenge anyone to find a larger, more lavishly appointed apartment in NYC. I won't even mention his Florida retreat Mara Lago, which is off the charts extravagant.
    Last edited by Bitchin'57; 02-08-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Member #:3477
    Accomplishments. Hmmmm

CN, have you done your taxes yet?

I might have to categorize the President's supposed tax cuts as the real fake news. In the spirit of vested self interest, I can only say that the nonsense out of Washington, and his twitter account, coupled with the smoke and mirrors tax law has easily cost me two years of retirement income. If you look at market losses and personal tax liability. And the Good old State of Maryland found a way to take several pounds of flesh, AGI changed at the Federal end with no changes at the state level = tax misery.

And this is with a well diversified portfolio and maximum tax withholding. My wife is an accountant so she handles the taxes. I am the finance guy and I handle the investments.

So if I assume that the costs to me are pay for the Presidents's performance (because responsibility always starts at the top), then my words to the President would be his words on the Apprentice; You're fired.

And I voted for him. And he has cost me a lot. I might be living in a cardboard box if this keeps up.

Words from a finance guy.

Scorp
    Scorpion1110

Rides:

1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1970 Honda Trail 70
    2004 Tacoma 4x4

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I miss you everyday.

Member #:530
    I'll know in a month what the 2018 tax situation looks like for us. I think the removal of some deductions will hurt more than the lowering of the tax rate. But thats only a hunch...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/57%20Chevy%20Nomad%20wagon[/URL]

1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window- [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/pcardey/library/59%20Apached%20Fleetside%20Big%20Window%20Shortbed[/URL]

Registered Member

I guess you guys are getting nailed because you are in a high tax state and the $10k max deduction for local taxes/mortgage interest is the culprit. In a way I feel for you but on the other hand the rest of us have been carrying you for years with you having a federal tax deduction that we didn't. So now the shoe is on the other foot.

Get your state/local taxes down and you'll be well off for that. Good luck with that too.

The other half of this sad story is that people are waking up to their tax situation and moving to states where things are better. And those people will bring their liberal tendencies with them and eventually taxes will go up in those "better" areas too. So don't move to Texas.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 02-09-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    CN, have you done your taxes yet?
    No I haven't. My wife does our business taxes first (4 returns) and they're due March 15th since we have some LLCs. We can't do our personal taxes until those are done.

I might have to categorize the President's supposed tax cuts as the real fake news. In the spirit of vested self interest, I can only say that the nonsense out of Washington, and his twitter account, coupled with the smoke and mirrors tax law has easily cost me two years of retirement income. If you look at market losses and personal tax liability. And the Good old State of Maryland found a way to take several pounds of flesh, AGI changed at the Federal end with no changes at the state level = tax misery.
    Have you figured out why your Federal taxes went up? If you live in a state with high property taxes that are no longer deductible, it makes sense. I thought you still get to itemize deductions if they exceed the new, higher standard deduction. My income is limited to my Social Security, and whatever else I want to pull out of my IRAs. This past year I pulled out the money to buy the tiny home and whatever else I needed to pay that my part-time business income didn't cover. I don't anticipate my taxes increasing, but we'll see.

Sounds like your state is going to see a big windfall and they need to change their tax rates to compensate for the federal changes. But they probably won't.

As far as market losses, the only losses I still have are relative to the peak in late September. I didn't realize any actual losses in the drop in December since I didn't sell anything. From the end of 2017 to the end of 2018 I dropped 5.6% of my total net worth including my IRA withdrawals. In the month of January I gained back 19.3% of the total I had at the end of the year, and 16.2% to date so I'm sitting above where I was at the end of 2017 even counting what I spent in 2018 for vacations, living expenses and the tiny home. I'm still down 18% from the all-time highs in September....luckily I sold some assets at the highs to pay for the tiny home in cash so it was kinda "free" . Yes, I own some fairly volatile stocks and NO ETFs, bonds or mutual funds.

Has anyone else here done their taxes, and how did they come out?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:33
    hard to believe everyone really thought the tax breaks was to benefit the average tax payer? now that was fake news.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Some marginal tax rates were changed.

But most of the tax changes were business related, it was a good thing for them. The trickle down was more jobs, and rising equities in the stock market. People don't understand those things for some reason. If you got hired because of the tax changes, or you were able to get a better job, it was a big deal. Thing is if that happened you may have become a taxpayer or paid more taxes because you made more - not a bad thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast