Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy a set of glass for 57 Nomad

Member #:530

Where to buy a set of glass for 57 Nomad

I need to get the 10 piece set. I want to avoid the shipping cost. I've spoken with Auto City Glass and they have a good price ($1k + about $250 shipping) but they are coming no where near So Cal this year (as they have an offer to pick up at swap meets they attend, and eliminate shipping cost).

So who else sells glass sets and comes regularly to either Pomona Swap Meet or maybe the Long Beach Swap meet?

I do not want to get it from Danchuck...as they charge shipping no matter what...and they are just the middleman anyway.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    I think AutoCity is your best bet; maybe you need to take a road trip to a show where they go?

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Have you checked prices from anyone else, I wonder if Autocity may be cheaper even with the shipping

maybe you need to take a road trip to a show where they go?
    Closest they will be on the west coast is Portland OR area. thats waaaay more than $250 of gas and time to go up there...

Have you checked prices from anyone else,
    Not yet (except for Danchuk's catalog). That's what I'm asking you all...who else is a glass distributor that attends swap meets and car shows? specifically in the SoCal area?

And who is the actual manufacturer of this glass? Is that Auto City?

Well Paul, besides the $cost of the gas to get there, you also have to figure in the FUN and enjoyment of attending a show you've never attended and you MIGHT find 'other stuff' you need once there!

Not sure where Danchuk gets their glass, but I've heard that autocity does a good job packaging their glass for shipment. Once upon a time the only place to get new NOMAD glass was a fella in Minnesota who sold under the name 'Classic Glass'; he had some kind of deal having LOF remake it for him, but he is no longer involved in that. I went to the NNC convention in Frisco CO (1986?) and picked up a set for my first '57 from him, driving my dad's Chevy Van so I'd have room!

It's hard to believe that there are more than ONE supplier of the Nomad specific glass, so it might be that AutoCity now has the LOF deal, and they probably sell thru Danchuk! (Call Danchuk and ask!)...

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I went to the NNC convention in Frisco CO (1986?)
    I was there too! I probably have some pictures from that convention. I was also at the one in Vail, CO. I still have a bunch of my NNC stuff like plaques, decals, jacket patches, etc.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    There use to be a guy in Bloomington Illinois that had tri 5 glass, but I don't think he had it for a nomad, and he is out of business now. Who could possible compete with Auto City, and they stand behind it. I had a set for a hardtop and the back glass didn't have the date and logo, so they sent me another without any problem at all. I asked him about the other, and he said just keep it. And a nomad windshield didn't fit, again they just sent another one.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I had a set for a hardtop and the back glass didn't have the date and logo, so they sent me another without any problem at all. I asked him about the other, and he said just keep it. And a nomad windshield didn't fit, again they just sent another one.
    If you're going to stand behind it, there's no money in shipping defective stuff back. But that also opens them up to people breaking the glass during installation and asking for new glass, if they know they won't be questioned. I guess they figure there are more honest customers than dishonest.

I was under the impression that many local windshield shops could get 55-57 glass. They will want to install it. If you're going to pay someone to install, that may be a reasonable route to take. You would need to find out if the shop has people that have actually installed glass in classic cars, as methods and materials are far different than late models. You could find out with a phone call or three.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 02-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.

I have a buddy here in town that owns an automotive glass repair/replacement shop. He does acknowledge that the installation procedures for the old cars leave him feeling vulnerable to problems, so he turns the work away. That's an honest answer. Naw...I'll just deal with it myself in my garage. plenty of youtube videos out there on what to do.
    Probably gonna have to just order it from Auto City and get it shipped here. They dropped the price (over the phone) from 1200 regular to 999 for the 10 piece set. No sales tax...just shipping extra...about 250 to SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I was there too! I probably have some pictures from that convention. I was also at the one in Vail, CO. I still have a bunch of my NNC stuff like plaques, decals, jacket patches, etc.
    *Waving to you 33 yrs later!*...

I had my wife, 2 daughters, and also my mom and dad (they'd never been to Colorado and wanted to go see the Grand Canyon after)... Needless to say, when I began sticking large boxes of Nomad glass in the back... they wondered where everyone was going to sit!

Do you recall seeing Darrel Schaar's 57 Nomad and 3/4 scale Nomad trailer at that convention? That was the last time I saw it and I've often wondered what happened to it. He was from Carson City NV and at that time was building a 'Waldorf Nomad' per Chevy's engineering drawings! A beautiful car (sorta colored like the one you're doing) and trailer painted to match! He was a *master craftsman* with fiberglass, wood, metail.. totally amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast