Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 55 hood Bird

Registered Member

Member #:3916

55 hood Bird

So my 201 didn't come with a hood bird so I picked one up now comes the neverous part mounting it, is their a pattern I can pickup so I know I am drilling in the correct locations ?

Member #:115
    Can you see the holes on the underside of the hood? Did someone weld them up?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Well theirs isn't any that I can see, can't even see any weld marks even where the wings would have been.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by turk1955 View Post
    So my 201 didn't come with a hood bird so I picked one up now comes the neverous part mounting it, is their a pattern I can pickup so I know I am drilling in the correct locations ?
    Pattern no even my 150 came with a bird. But why not use the rubber gasket for a pattern.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There's no continuous rubber gasket for the 55 bird.

Here's what to do.

Put a short stud made from 1/4-20 all thread in each of the 4 threaded holes. Take a piece of poster board and carefully fashion it so that it becomes a pattern. The poster board needs to conform to the bird and to the hood. Mark and punch 4 holes to match the all thread studs. You may have to do a second pattern to get it right and get the holes to match correctly without them being elongated or oversized. Also make some witness marks on the pattern for where the base of the bird sits. Transfer the pattern to the hood and line up the witness marks with the flat where the center of the bird sits. Mark and drill the holes. You may have to drill the holes slightly oversize so that you can move the bird slightly to get it to line up properly.

Registered Member

Thanks for the info, I am going to have at it tomorrow I post some before and after pitchers

Member #:3217
    What is a '201'???

Member #:2017
    Does your hood have the flat plateau for the bird to rest on? Maybe this is one of the new “peaked” hoods not designed for the bird. The hood brace underneath that goes to the front center should have a hole in it for one of the bird’s center holes.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

I f you have a bird delete hood I am sure you can trade it for one with a bird.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    There's no continuous rubber gasket for the 55 bird.

Here's what to do.

Put a short stud made from 1/4-20 all thread in each of the 4 threaded holes. Take a piece of poster board and carefully fashion it so that it becomes a pattern. The poster board needs to conform to the bird and to the hood. Mark and punch 4 holes to match the all thread studs. You may have to do a second pattern to get it right and get the holes to match correctly without them being elongated or oversized. Also make some witness marks on the pattern for where the base of the bird sits. Transfer the pattern to the hood and line up the witness marks with the flat where the center of the bird sits. Mark and drill the holes. You may have to drill the holes slightly oversize so that you can move the bird slightly to get it to line up properly.
    sorry I got confused with 56 bird gaskets.