Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the stock suspension travel on a original TriFive?

Banned

Member #:2775

What was the stock suspension travel on a original TriFive?

I'm always amazed when I come across an old car test video when it comes to a smooth ride. I'm always hearing people talk about how bad the roads are anymore, bent wheels, bent suspension, and split tires from a little pothole. Many new SUV's couldn't hold a candle to the off-road capabilities compared to these old cars!
    We seem to go backwards with progress sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2vDpMZIYNc
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-01-2019 at 05:13 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't think we've gone backwards. If you need the capability of a Baja race truck, get one.

Member #:3217
    Like everything else, LIFE itself is a tradeoff...

Member #:115
    Our roads are much better these days than they were in the 50's. Who needs 5" of suspension travel in both directions on a car built for the streets and highways? A "smooth ride" is dictated more by the spring rate (actually it's the wheel rate) than it is suspension travel. And a soft spring rate results in a poor handling car or one that dives on braking and squats on acceleration. There's always a tradeoff.

Even cheap cars today handle and steer many times better than a stock tri5.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    My Uncle took on of those 58 Christine Cars and made a Ranchero out of it, added a 3/4 ton rear axle and a dog box. Hunted Coyotes with it in the 70s. It had a Hemi in it too.

To answer your question....a stock tri5 front suspension travel is 3.5" up and down.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/56030.htm

A late C4 is 3.62" jounce and 3.74" rebound in front with the stock spring. 3.5" jounce and 3" rebound in the rear.

Damn new cars.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    To answer your question....a stock tri5 front suspension travel is 3.5" up and down.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/56030.htm

A late C4 is 3.62" jounce and 3.74" rebound in front with the stock spring. 3.5" jounce and 3" rebound in the rear.

Damn new cars.
    Thanks for the info. I brought it up because it is pothole season here, and modern cars are not designed to take a beating on bad roads like they use to. My dad's 73 Mercury was the smoothest riding car I've ever driven, and actually handled good for a giant car. They had a TV commercial back then cutting a Cartier diamond going down a cobblestone street. A lot of newer full-size trucks/SUV's don't handle any better, or ride very smooth. The 20 inch wheels, and stiff springs don't help the ride at all, but look cool.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    "but look cool" That's a poor choice of words.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    "but look cool" That's a poor choice of words.
    Yeah, you're right. Form doesn't seem to follow function anymore is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Thanks for the info. I brought it up because it is pothole season here, and modern cars are not designed to take a beating on bad roads like they use to. My dad's 73 Mercury was the smoothest riding car I've ever driven, and actually handled good for a giant car.
    I think maybe your memory is failing you, or your definition of "good handling" is different from most. Heavier cars tend to ride "smoother" than lighter cars but they also handle like crap compared to a "good" handling modern car. Heavier cars have more inertia and tend not to "bounce" as much as lighter cars on the highway when hitting a bump or a dip. That's why a 5000 pound old Cadillac rode so smooth.

A lot of newer full-size trucks/SUV's don't handle any better, or ride very smooth.
    Trucks aren't supposed to handle that well, or ride smoothly. They're meant to carry heavy loads or tow things. Trucks and SUVs sit higher for ground clearance. You can't compare a truck to a car, or even a car to an SUV because they're built for different purposes. I haven't driven any of the newer SUVs (like Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc.) so I can't comment on them, but I love driving my '03 Silverado and I think for a truck it rides nicely and drives well....certainly a lot better than any 50's, 60's or 70's truck.

The 20 inch wheels, and stiff springs don't help the ride at all, but look cool.
    Again it's a tradeoff. Bigger wheels handle better but tend to give a stiffer ride. My Porsche has 18" wheels and tires on it, 225/40 in front and 275/35 in the rear. I personally think the ride and handling are excellent. It doesn't ride like a big boat at only 2800 pounds and the suspension is firm, like a sports car should be. I did an experiment one time and I think I came up with a front wheel rate of around 150 lb/in. It's a mid-engine car so the front end feels light and it handles like a go-cart. Yes, the low profile tires probably make it ride stiffer, but it's not bad.

You can only make the springs so soft before they won't support the car's weight anymore and chassis and suspension design limits how long they can be. Longer shocks/struts/coils compressed more allow for a lower spring rate will give a softer ride and still support the car. Also, I tend to think that the REAR suspension is what you feel more in a front-engine car. That's partly why I like to use longer coilovers compressed more than 50% at ride height, and with softer springs, on the rear of my C4 setups.

I think most people nowadays like larger wheels, even on classics. 18-19" wheels are pretty common on most new cars and 15" wheels look tiny. 20's are at the fringe and the car has to be set up right to look good with them. Times have changed, people's tastes have changed, and technology has improved. Some people still like the 50's or 60's look, ride and handling because it's nostalgic to them....that's fine. I outgrew that. I think Madmook's Nomad is sitting on 20's in the rear and it looks awesome to me sitting low.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast