Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the stock suspension travel on a original TriFive?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    ....certainly a lot better than any 50's, 60's or 70's truck.

Trucks are for work and guys like you have ruined them. Hang a plow on that thing they suck, however if you want to drive down a smooth highway they are great. One size does not fit all, that is why I just did the aftermarket Vortec TBI head thing and hydraulic roller cam in my 87 GMC.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    My 55 handles pretty damn good with the original frame and most stock parts. It has stiffer front coils for the BBC + a little stiffer, 1" taller ball joints, and 5° caster. Oh, and of course an anti roll bar. Handles better than a cheap modern car.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Trucks are for work and guys like you have ruined them.
    LOL! I "ruined" them? How did I ruin them? I still have the first truck I've ever owned and I love it. I'll probably buy a newer one, a year or two old low-mileage one, after I purchase my Montana property. Mine won't ever have a snow plow on it. If I want to plow snow I'll buy a 30+ year old junker or a loader. A 40 year old truck can't tow anywhere near what a new truck can tow, and they now do it in luxury. They do pretty darn good offroad too, which is something I do often.

One size does not fit all, that is why I just did the aftermarket Vortec TBI head thing and hydraulic roller cam in my 87 GMC.
    That "thing" is called an upgrade. It's getting rid of old obsolete junk and installing newer technology. Who knows, before long you might even get rid of that obsolete carburetor and go with a computer-controlled ignition. You're making progress.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    My 55 handles pretty damn good with the original frame and most stock parts. It has stiffer front coils for the BBC + a little stiffer, 1" taller ball joints, and 5° caster. Oh, and of course an anti roll bar.
    If it makes you happy, that's good. It's probably an improvement on the crappy stock suspension, for sure. Nothing wrong with an original frame, it's the suspension and steering that sucks.

Handles better than a cheap modern car.
    That's doubtful. IMO. What are you comparing it to?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    "That "thing" is called an upgrade. It's getting rid of old obsolete junk and installing newer technology. Who knows, before long you might even get rid of that obsolete carburetor and go with a computer-controlled ignition. You're making progress. "

For a know it all you don't know much. I wonder why General Motors put an emblem on both my 87 4x4 tailgates that says, " Fuel Injected". As far as towing I still pull a race car at least once a year with my stock 72 Cheyenne Super 1/2 ton 2wd. A fine truck by most peoples standards.

Registered Member

Member #:4210
    Our roads are much better these days than they were in the 50's. I remember My grandfather used to discuss about roads that they aren't good, & Now our vehicles get more advanced in and have a great suspensions, Even when i do Fast Tow Truck Service it feel very comfortable on our roads.

Member #:530
    I brought it up because it is pothole season here,
    Just sell everything and move to southern California. We don't have that season here...
    You can stick with your stock suspension cars.
    Problem solved.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12