Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Best 56 replacement quarter panels

Registered Member

Member #:3797

Best 56 replacement quarter panels

I've got a 56 2 door post with a quarter panel that's giving me grief. Im not afraid to replace the panel but, I 've heard there are no good quality panels for 56s available. The ones I've seen are lacking detail in the wheel well lip area. Any suggestions?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't think the old Sherman/EMI quarters were too bad in the wheel cutout area. Maybe Chevynut can comment, he used some. Trouble is, EMI (the manufacturer) got out of the business. The product line and tooling were bought by CARS Inc., but they've been slow to bring all products back to market. So you'd need to contact CARS Inc. to see if they are currently available.

The other choice would be Golden Star. I don't know specifically about 56 quarters, but lack of detail or wrong detail is common on their products in that area. Actually it was on the EMI panels too as a general statement. If you can, it's best to see for yourself whether that's bad for you or which one is worse. I know that's difficult.

Member #:115
    I used the Sherman quarters because that's all that was available at the time. The wheelwell lips are fine but the taillight opening sucks. I cut behind the door about 3/4" and around the original taillight opening. Also,

you have to remove the "dip". I recommend NOT angling the cut and radiusing the corner.

20090312_1350.JPG

20090317_1372.JPG

20090602_1477.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Been checking out RealDealSteel.com. I am helping a friend do wheel arches in a 55 Nomad and I checked and they have 56 quarters, 3/4.

Their stuff doesnt look bad.

Scorp

Registered Member

Their stuff doesnt look bad.
    They sell Golden Star. Doesn't look bad? Have you bought the panels and installed them?

There can be a big difference between a catalog description/photo and the reality of having one in front of you. Just sayin' that quality on this stuff is in the details. And there's no assurance that the new CARS panels are as good or bad as the old EMI panels. Probably close to the same if built on the same tooling, but they do have to execute for it to be the same.

I don't want to beat up these vendors too bad, they are all we've got. But criticism of their parts makes them better if they choose to try.

Registered Member

Member #:3797
    I was actually able to straighten things out on my original panel tonight. I replaced a portion on the front of the quarter and didn't fit it correctly on the contour resulting in tight or flat spot that needed to be stretched. I was struggling the other day but, just took a break from it and tonight was able to stretch it and it fits well without any oil canning. Going to need to use some fill in that area which I was trying to avoid but, it's all with 1/32 at the thickest area. I think I be quit while I'm ahead. It doesn't look as clean as Chevynut's panels. Very nice work on those! Thanks for the suggestions.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    They sell Golden Star. Doesn't look bad? Have you bought the panels and installed them?

There can be a big difference between a catalog description/photo and the reality of having one in front of you. Just sayin' that quality on this stuff is in the details. And there's no assurance that the new CARS panels are as good or bad as the old EMI panels. Probably close to the same if built on the same tooling, but they do have to execute for it to be the same.

I don't want to beat up these vendors too bad, they are all we've got. But criticism of their parts makes them better if they choose to try.
    Rick- Just looking on the Web at their stuff. Obviously there is no way to know until you have it in front of you. You look, you read, you compare, and if you are not doing this everyday you hope for some feedback from someone with experience, so you dont get screwed.

Thanks for the info.

Scorp

Registered Member

Okay good, just don't make looking at a website part of the feedback, they will be perfect there.